How To Make Your Weekends More Productive This New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s finally 2020, we did it! Whether 2019 was your year or not it’s time to focus on the new decade and what is in store for you this year. New year resolutions are a good way to start breaking old habits and setting new goals, however, this year it’s time to start reforming the way we spend our weekends. This year is all about making time to do things for ourselves and that includes making your weekends more productive so you can truly enjoy yourself.

1. Prioritize what needs to get done

At the end of each week make a list of what needs to get done first in order of most to least urgent task. Listing these tasks out makes it easier for ourselves to see what needs to get done and breathe. Doing this every Friday or so will allow you to visualize what needs to get accomplished and at what pace.

2. Choose the right environment

Let’s face it – your room isn’t always the best place to get work done. Your room can sometimes be the root of your downfall. You can easily get distracted or sidetracked for long periods of time. Going to the library, study room, or lounging area will make it easier to stay focused. Most importantly, surrounding yourself with the right people can add to choosing the right environment. Being around people who want to be just as focused as you is the best way to guarantee results. 

3. Go in with the right mindset

I know it can sometimes be hard to motivate yourself to be productive over the weekend, especially after a long week of classes. Nevertheless, if you begin the weekend with a positive attitude and resolve to get things accomplished, you will succeed. You can even ease your mind with a nice playlist to get yourself started. Spotify has many playlists dedicated to focusing and studying. Listening to soft beats and tracks can help put you in the right mindset and even help you work more diligently.

After working hard over the weekend, treat yourself! Always remind yourself that the work you are doing is important and so are you.  Go out with your friends after being productive or even just relax the best way you know-how. Cheers to 2020 and a productive year!

Kamiel Beckley

Hampton U '23

Kamiel Beckley is a biochemistry major and leadership studies minor from Louisville, Kentucky. She attends the illustrious Hampton University. Kamiel enjoys traveling and creating. Her goal is to pursue biomedical research while also maintaining her love for writing and art.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.