This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s hard to imagine spending spring break at home when just last year we were vacationing, spending time with friends, and even taking family trips. I constantly find myself thinking back to how wonderful spring break was last year, that I forget that it can still be just as relaxing and memorable. The pandemic, small bubbles, and COVID clusters make traveling unappealing and more stressful than it seems. Airline procedures and ensuring everyone sticks to agreed-upon rules of pre-trip quarantining and testing, masking, and social distancing can be exhausting as well. If you’re stuck at home like me, don’t worry! There are plenty of things you can do to replenish your mental health and have a good time.

While far-flung travel is out of the question right now, road trips could be a fun alternative to get yourself out of the house. You can load the car up with family or friends (abiding by group rules) and take a trip to look at state attractions, admire scenic coastlines or mountains, and take lots of pictures. The best part about this option is that it takes minimal planning and you can enjoy the peace of the road. I know that I personally love being in the car with friends and playing my playlist.

We often find ourselves in front of a computer for many hours a day. From the morning to late homework nights, we wake up to a screen and close our eyes next to a screen. For spring break try throwing yourself an artist retreat. Art is widely considered to be therapeutic and inspire creativity. It is important to have a creative outlet so that we don’t burn out. To adapt your vacation plans with an art staycation, get art materials and let yourself go wild. You can scour Pinterest for some more organized projects and ideas as well. 

If you are a museum lover, don’t fret. I know exhibits are limiting how many people can walk through and you might be conscious of your personal space. Luckily, you can “go to the museum” and never have to leave your couch. Google Arts & Culture’s collection includes the British Museum in London, the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, the Guggenheim in New York City, and hundreds of more places where you can gain knowledge about art, history, and science. This collection is especially good for students who are looking for ways to stay on top of their studies while schools are still virtual. To see the collection of museums, visit the collection’s website

School and work can be stressful and take up a lot of your time. So if you’ve been slacking on those workouts or maybe even your skin routine, now is the time to get back to it. You might not even have a skin routine and want to start. Do it! Taking care of yourself is super important. We often forget the basic things we promise ourselves, so take this spring break to pamper yourself in any way you see fit. 

My favorite activity to do during this pandemic is to watch movies and shows with my s/o and friends. It’s super calming and a great source of laughter. Not only that, take group friendship quizzes and host game nights. Even though it can be painful not seeing your friends every day, spending time together virtually can be just as memorable as those times on campus. 

Spring break is honestly what you make of it. It might feel like you’re stuck at home, but it doesn’t have to be dreadful. Remember to stay safe, wear a mask, and relax. You deserve it.

Kamiel Beckley

Hampton U '23

Kamiel Beckley is a biochemistry major and leadership studies minor from Louisville, Kentucky. She attends the illustrious Hampton University. Kamiel enjoys traveling and creating. Her goal is to pursue biomedical research while also maintaining her love for writing and art.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.