Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To know If He’s Into You As Explained by Nahshon Griffin, Charles Johnson & Russell Hicks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Almost every girl could recall a time where they were head-over-heels for a guy but wasn’t sure if the feelings were reciprocated. A time where they were checking their nails and hair-do, right before sitting up straight and offering a warm smile at the sight of the guy. Or walking over to the pencil sharpener located in front of the classroom, in hopes to captivate the attention of the admirer. How about double-tapping all the photos on his feed to show you‘re interested. Well, here’s what a Baby Boomer, a Millennial, and Gen Zer had to say on how to know if he’s into you. 

Going The Extra Mile For You

Holidays are usually a special time to see if a guy is really into you. Seasonal celebrations like Christmas and Valentine’s Day are often dubbed as a perfect milestone for a guy to make a move. The festivities and cheerful ambiance that usually surround such holidays, often give guys an extra boost to finally step up. 

“Birthdays, Valentine’s Day…if he sends you a birthday card, that means he’s into you or at least an indication.If he doesn’t EVER  buy you a gift, card, flowers, nothing,  just shows up with nothing but a smile on his face and will ask for a lil more from you to say happy birthday…then that what he’s about,” the 65-year-old Veteran Russell Hicks explained.

Taking the extra initiative to show you they are not like your past guys is also another way to know a guy is into you. Charles Johnson, a 30-year-old investor said, “ If I’m feeling you, I wanna know what time you work?  What time is your lunch break? I will ask you questions beyond sex, like what’s your favorite color? I’ll try my best to take you somewhere that is outside of the box.”

Consistent with Consistency

Behaviorally, if he’s checking up on you on a daily basis, catering to your every need, and trying to get to know you better. “If a guy is constantly taking you on dates and catering your needs, then that usually means he rocks with you,” Declared 23-year-old Nahshon Griffin. Look to see if he’s consistent when talking to you that usually means he’s really into you.

He listens to You

It’s a common stereotype that women talk more than men. Researchers like Louann Brizendine, a practicing physician at the University of California-San Francisco and author of The Female Brain reveals on average women speak 20,000 words a day vs. 7,000 words for men. If such a notion is to be true, then that means someone has to be really intrigued by your presence in order to actually sit and listen to you talk. 

“Listening to you talk… cause ya’ll women talk a lot,” Laughed Charles. 

“I’m investing in you talking means I’m really interested in you,” Declared Nahshon. 

“If he listens to you and is interested in what you have to say, he communicates with you…” Said Russell.

When a guy listens to you that means what you are saying is important to him.

Attempting to Understand Your Love Language

A guy is truly invested in you with little acts of surprises like ordering your favorite food for lunch, inquiring about the time you get off of work, or even doing a series of services in an effort to cater to your needs. All these things in the name of attempting to understand your love language. According to Nahshon Griffin, a lot of men don’t open up to just anybody. If he considers your needs and wants and is trying his best to meet them, randomly calls to ask about your well-being and showing signs that he cares for you.

It might be hard to detect whether or not that guy you like, actually likes you. Oftentimes guys are vocal through their actions and how a guy act may reveal his intentions for you. Time is also a good indicator to know whether the guy you’ve been falling for is into you or just being friendly.

Yveneka Lestin is a writer and freelance publicist working to amplify unheard voices and personalities through visibility. She has navigated a variety of public relations campaigns which resulted in securing media placements in Forbes, CNN, Today’s Show, and Teen Vogue. She calls many places home, including NYC where she grew up, and Virginia where she attends Hampton University. In addition to being an avid writer and reader, Yveneka is a foodie and a loving aunt to her nieces.