samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How I Started My Business, and How You Can Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Beauty and wellness among women has always been something important to me. As a college student, I wanted to find a way to uplift women and help them feel beautiful while still supporting myself financially. On October 30, 2019 I launched my very own lash line: Angelic Lashes by Taylor Nichole. I don’t know who needs to hear this but this is your sign. Start that business. Here are some tips and advice on how you can get started:

Find your passion. 

The first step to starting a business is to find something you’re passionate about. Don’t worry about following trends or selling what’s popular at the moment. The only way your business will succeed is if you’re absolutely infatuated with what you’re doing. If not, you’ll only get bored. If you can’t find anything you like, create something. 

In my case, my passion is strip lashes. I wear them everyday. I was tired of my friends and I having to run to target or the beauty supply store every time we needed new lashes. I made it a priority to be able to provide lashes for my community and beyond. 

Find a reliable supplier.

Now, find your product. This is most definitely the hardest part. You’ll need a reliable supplier to buy from and continue to use once your business starts rolling. You can find vendors on websites such as Aliexpress, Amazon, or even on social media platforms such as instagram. Make sure they’re trustworthy and not out to scam you. 

Secondly, it takes money to make money. Raise money and save up to buy your initial product. Once you sell that, save the money you make and use it to reinvest into your business. Don’t worry about spending the money on yourself until your business is fully up and running.

Set your prices

Once you get your product it’s time to set your prices. Yes, you want to be affordable but you also want to make a profit. Consider who’s buying your product and set your prices accordingly. If you’re clientele are college students, be reasonable. If they’re older adults with jobs you could set your prices a little higher because you know they could afford it. Also remember, you get what you pay for. Try not to degrade your product by making it too cheap. If you know you put a large amount of time, effort, and money into your business.

Make your prices and stick to them. Remember you have to keep yourself first. Don’t lower your prices for friends and family. If you’re lowering your prices make sure they’re helping you build your business by advertising, distributing, etc.

Trust yourself, but have an open mind.

Like I said prior, keep yourself first. Trust your intuition and make the best decisions for your brand. Keep an open mind, however, and be ready to listen to the advice of others. 

Have faith. 

Lastly, keep your faith. Personally, I had times where I felt scared to start my business because I was scared nobody would support me. No matter what, push through your anxieties. Ignore your doubts and invest in yourself. You got this!

Taylor Cooper

Hampton U '23

My name is Taylor Cooper. I’m a psychology major from St. Petersburg, Florida. I’m blessed with the opportunity to attend The Illustrious Hampton University as an incoming freshman. As a military child, I’ve been able to live all over the world. I’m very appreciative of the experiences I’ve had, and those to come.