This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we are all adjusting to the new normal of online classes and remote learning, it is more important than ever to stay energized and alert throughout the day. What better way to do that than having a killer morning routine? A good morning routine not only sets the tone for the rest of your day, but it is also a good form of self-care. Starting off the day on a positive note increases the likelihood of maintaining a positive mindset throughout the day. With these tips, you’ll be able to take on the day and go into your zoom meetings feeling better than ever!

Getting a good night sleep

Getting a full night of rest is the only real way to ensure energy the following morning. It’s almost impossible to be productive let alone functional when running on little to no sleep. 7-9 hours of sleep per night is about the amount of time that the average healthy young adult needs to function. So, get your beauty sleep!

Hands off your phone!

We all have felt the temptation to reach for our phones as soon as we open our eyes but fighting this temptation is a major part of a good morning routine. When your first activity of the day is scrolling through your phone, it affects how you prioritize later tasks. We also can’t forget about the social media black hole that can keep you mesmerized for hours. So to prevent any wasted time and attention, it’s best to keep your hands off your phone for at least an hour after you wake up.

Make Your Bed

Making your bed in the morning is often looked upon as the annoying chore our parents always demanded us to complete. In reality, it is a key factor in an effective moring routine. Making your bed acts as your first real task of the day. So when it is completed first thing in the morning, you establish a tone of productivity for the rest of your day. Also, there is no better feeling than coming home to a made bed. If you had a bad day, you come to your room to see a made bed and it cheers you up a little. If you had a good day, seeing your bed already made turns a good day into a great one. Who would’ve thought?

Take your time with your morning skincare 

Take a few minutes out of your morning to indulge in your skincare routine. The skincare process is the perfect way to give yourself some extra love to start off your day. So really have some fun going through all the steps and even pretend you’re recording your next viral youtube video, It’s okay we’ve all done it.

Positive Affirmations

Giving yourself positive affirmations first thing in the morning is a great way to achieve a positive mindset. Learning to talk to yourself kindly is one of the most critical lessons you will learn throughout life. It is a quick and easy step that you can do during your skincare routine to make yourself feel good. Performing an act of self-love such as this every day works to build confidence and promotes a positive self-image. It can’t hurt to include it in your everyday routine

Exercise

A quick morning workout will get your heart pumping and give the boost of energy you need to get through the day. It can be as rigorous or as relaxed as your body can handle each day. Some simple yoga, challenging cardio, or even dancing around to your favorite music get up and get moving.

Eat a good breakfast

We’ve heard a million times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day so let’s start acting like it! Eating a good breakfast not only gives you an energy boost but if you are able to cook for yourself it can be a lot of fun.

Starting your day the right way has major positive effects in your daily life. Having an effective morning routine increases productivity and promotes a positive attitude throughout the remainder of your day, and when you’re working from home it helps to kick off the day in a good mood. By implementing some of these tips into your daily routine you can be sure to make each day count!

Tasha Smith

Hampton U '22

Tasha Smith is a junior journalism major, marketing minor at Hampton University from Baltimore, Maryland. She aspires to be a fashion journalist at a major magazine publication she plans to work internationally for a period of time in her career. She is the creator of her own blog dedicated to fashion and lifestyle, snootii.com. On campus, she is the co-creative director of the Black Retail and Apparel Group. She also serves as the secretary and runway coach for the New Era Modeling troupe. She is a fashion fanatic who hopes to use her love for fashion and writing to inspire others to broadcast their full authentic selves and showcase their individuality as it has done for her.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!