sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Handle a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Breakups suck, regardless if the relationship ended on mutual terms or if it was a horrible situation, the point is you have invested a part of yourself into this other person and you now have to come to grips with the fact that that relationship is over. Studies have shown that the same regions of the brain are activated when an addict is going through withdrawals as when someone is going through a breakup.  Here are some helpful tips on how to get over your ex:

Social Media Purge:

Block them everywhere: Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and even as a contact in your phone. Also, take a brief hiatus from social media for at least a few days, (you aren’t going to miss out on much) it will keep you from profile stalking your ex and making emotional posts that could come back to haunt you in the future.

Be with loved ones:

If your mom is anything like mine, she always seems to know the right things to say when you are going through a tough time, so give her a call. Tell her what happened, and she can help make you feel better instantly. Also hit up your best friends, and have them come over with your favorite foods and movies and do not forget the alcohol, that’s a key component. This is the time to let all your feelings out and cry in front of people who love you and will not judge you.

Mourning:

Allow yourself to feel the hurt and give yourself time to heal. A breakup is a painful ordeal, and only you can decide when it’s time to let go and move on. Call in sick to work, or if you’re in school, see if you can get the lecture notes from a classmate and miss a day or two. Its okay to cry, so cry a lot and realize that what you had is gone. Allow yourself to go through the five stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and lastly, acceptance). You can control your mourning, without going crazy and then when your mourning time is over, get back up and keep it movin’. Learn how to channel you anger in a healthy way, whether it be through music, writing, working out or some other outlet.

Focus on the good things

Even though your last relationship has come to an end, there was a reason you stayed with them for so long. Try writing on a sheet of paper what those reasons were and then on a separate sheet, write down your five best qualities. Remind yourself of your value and internalize your self-worth. Spend time with the ones who love you for you. Do something spontaneous with your hair, take a trip with your friends. Rediscover and reinvent yourself. Just remember that you are loved and important and have so much to offer the world, be kind to yourself. Time heals all, and breakups are no exception to this rule. The future may seem uncertain right now, but eventually you will get back to being happy.

Abby Idisi

Hampton U

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.