Career

How to Gift on a Budget this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Merry Christmas! It’s that time of the year again, where lists are getting longer but wallets are getting emptier. As college students, most of us know the struggle of being down to our last cent. Yet, when the holidays come around, we’re supposed to magically have the funds to buy presents for everyone. If you love the holiday of giving, but your bank account has been screaming at you to stop spending money, then this article is for you.

Secret Santa

This classic game involves a group of people anonymously exchanging Christmas presents, with every member being assigned another person to gift. If everyone in the group wants to save money, set a dollar limit on how much can be spent on your presents.

White Elephant

Can’t afford a gift for every person in the group? Try this fun game. Everyone brings a present. You then draw numbers to see who picks first. After a person has picked a present, the next number can either steal their present or pick from the original gifts. The last person to go has the advantage of stealing anyone in the room’s gift or picking their own. This is a festive, creative way to get in the giving spirit while having a little fun.

It’s the Thought That Counts

Gifts are all about the thought and not necessarily the price tag. If you’re not trying to drop bank on a store-bought present, make something for yourself. Goody baskets with the person’s favorite candies and/or snacks are always thoughtful, or maybe just a picture frame and a card can get your message across best. Don’t overthink it; it’s the thought that counts.

Use these cheap tips and make Christmas shopping this year a whole lot easier. Happy Holidays!

Kennedi Jackson is a senior journalism major, leadership studies minor from Atlanta, GA. She is one of the 2020-2021 associate editors for the HerCampus Hampton U chapter. Post-graduation, Kennedi hopes to work in an editorial position, communications department, or digital media.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com