Honorary Hamptonian: Honesty Gilliam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Her Campus HU got the opportunity to chat with Honesty Gilliam, a 21-year old entrepreneur who recently quit her job to focus on her passion: Honestly, Honesty Tutors. Honesty is from Newark, NJ and is a senior at William Paterson University where she studies English Writing and Early Childhood Education with a minor in Public Relations. In her free time, Honesty likes to read/ blog, spend time with her family and friends, and go to the spa! She’s definitely making a positive impact on her community and changing the lives of all of her students. Read more to learn all about Honesty and Honestly, Honesty Tutors!

HC: What exactly is your business?

HG:  I prefer to call my business a program because businesses operate off of money, the HHT program operates off of love for children’s growth and education. My program is a tutoring program for grades K-8. We provide subject-specific tutoring, exam prep, weekly homework help, resume building and much more.

HC: Where’d you get the inspiration to start your business?

HG:  I’ve always been inspired by educators but once I met my 11th-grade teacher in high school, Ms. King, she changed my views on life. She showed me that it’s okay to help others and give back. Being that I was a tutor for six years, I figured I’d do great in providing tutoring services for children city-wide, soon to be worldwide, if we’re speaking things into existence. I thought it was an amazing idea to start an entire program rather than just be a “private tutor.”

HC: What is some advice you’d give to those looking to do what you do?

HG: There’s so much advice I have to give, but the most important piece of advice I have to is be patient and focus on your long-term goal. When you’re working with children remember to be your authentic self, the children are used to everyone faking it with them, just remain consistent and honest with your scholars.

HC: How do you balance your personal life, your students & managing your business?

HG: Wow! What a question! I don’t have much balance in my life right now, I am focusing solely on growing my business and helping those in my community. Throughout my day I carry three different planners, one is for business, second is for school and third is for home/and family. That’s the most balance I have in my life right now.

HC: How do you feel you’re making an impact on the community?

HG: Honestly, I feel as though I am not doing enough but every day I wake up to feedback from outsiders that lets me know me I’m making progress and changing lives on the daily. But one thing I do know for sure is that I’m building confidence, grades, and character for my scholars, they’re allowed to be free in my program and their authentic selves.

HC: What’s your favorite quote and why?

HG: I’d have to go with a quote from the late and great Steve Jobs, he said, “The only way to do great work is to love what you do.” Those words will live on forever because you must love what you do to wake up and be satisfied every single day.

HC: How do you connect with your students?

HG:  I connect by conversation, every day before I start a session I get an understanding of where my scholars’ minds are, how they’re feeling, and what they’ve accomplished for the day. They love the feeling of knowing someone cares about the ins and outs of their day. With that technique I’ve gained their trust, they come to me about anything that’s heavy on their minds and I’m forever grateful for that.

HC: What has your business taught you about yourself?

HG: I’ve learned so much about myself while growing Honestly, Honesty Tutors. I’ve learned that nobody can stop my flow but me, no matter what obstacles come along, they’re not unbeatable. Another great thing I learned about myself is that I’m selfless and a huge risk taker, I’m willing to go the extra mile, even if it’ll cost me.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

HG: Do you really want to know?? In FIVE years, 1,825 days, I plan to be on the Forbes List, I plan to expand my program throughout the whole United States. I am sticking to that 5-year plan!

HC: What’s been your greatest accomplishment so far?

HG: Nothing is more important than growth, my greatest accomplishment is growing! I’ve grown so much within the last year; I’ve literally gone from girl to woman in the wink of an eye.

Honesty’s dedication to her community, her program, and her students make her an honorary Hamptonian. Her willingness to always give back and help others along their journey is extremely admirable!

To get an inside peek into Honesty’s life follow her on Instagram @honnestyy, and to watch her continuous success with her students follow her on Instagram @Honestlyhonestytutors and Facebook, and be sure to visit her website and read her blog posts at www.Honestlyhonestytutors.com!

Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.