Style > Beauty

An Honest Review of Some of the Most Popular Eyeshadow Palettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

James Charles Artistry Palette

This palette comes with all your basic starter colors. If you’re starting your makeup journey, and want to spend a little bit more money on your collection this is a great palette for beginners. It also comes with a couple of shimmer colors if you want to dip your toes into a shimmer shine makeup look. However, these eyeshadows are PRESSED PIGMENTS. That means these shadows need to be packed on if you want a bright eyeshadow look (especially if your a beautiful brown skin girl). For an extra bold and bright look try putting a light concealer or primer on your eyelid for a real popping look. 

Jaclyn Hill Palette Volume II

Next on the list is another popular Morphe palette you’ve probably seen while shopping in Ulta. This is one of my least favorite palettes. The colors are very dull when you apply them to the lid, even after you put a bright concealer or primer on. If you want a really bold look with the palette, be ready to apply a lot of shadow to the lid. This palette comes with a wide variety of colors ranging from warm reds and oranges to dark purples and pinks. It also includes a couple of shimmer colors which are great to apply on top of dull eyeshadows. I would not recommend the palette to beginners due to the effort it takes to make the colors show up on the lids. 

Beauty Glazed Color board Eyeshadow Tray

This tray comes in cute packaging that allows you to open it like a book, and spin each tray to reveal a different set of eyeshadows. There are four trays that have colors and shimmer ranging from bright forest green to dark plum purple. Each set of trays comes with not only a matching shimmer shadow but also glitter that can be applied with a glitter primer. These eyeshadows are very pigmented and are gorgeous when applied with or without a primer. Due to the wide range of colors, affordable price, and it being black girl friendly I recommend this palette be added to any beginner or OG MUA’s collection. You can find the Beauty Glazed Color Board Tray on Amazon. 

ColourPop’s Disney Mulan Palette 

The packaging on this palette is stunning; featuring a beautiful red Mulan-themed cover with gold Chinese lettering inside and a picture of Mulan wielding a sword. This palette is not for anybody starting out due to the limited amount of colors it features. This palette mostly has shimmer and glitter shadows with a few regular colors which only includes shades of brown and black. These shadows are not very pigmented, and if applied they would need a very bright concealer underneath for it to fully appear on the lid. The glitter and shimmer shadows, however, are perfect if you want to add a little flair to a boring eyeshadow look. Just apply it over a shadow already on the lid, and you can go from a natural to glam look in seconds. 

Juvia’s Place The Nubian 2

This palette has to be a staple in every black woman’s collection. It comes with huge tins for each shadow and is very pigmented. No bright concealer is needed underneath unless you want to add that extra “umph” to your look. It comes with a range of brown shadows and blue and green shimmers. If you want a natural or glam look, you can accomplish both with this palette, and the best part is that this company is black-owned! This is also a very affordable palette, so you won’t have to break the bank if you decide to add it to your shopping list on your next trip to Ulta. 

Morphe’s Bronze Goals Palette

Last but certainly not least on this list is the Bronze Goals Palette by Morphe. It comes with a whopping 35 shades of browns and shimmer shadows (also including black). My favorite thing about this palette is the placement of each shadow. If you’re new to eyeshadow application and are not sure which colors go best with which, this palette makes it easy to tell. The shades and shimmers that blend seamlessly together are right next to each other. This palette is perfect for the girlies who love an everyday natural look because this palette gives you enough shades and shimmers to apply a different natural lid look every day. I highly recommend this palette to beginners.

Vashti Dorman

Hampton U '22

Vashti Dorman is a junior Journalism major studying at Hampton University from Dallas, Texas.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.