Homecoming at Your Home by the Sea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Homecoming at Hampton University, our home by the sea, is a time when current and former students come together. It is a time to pop-out, and it is a time to turn- up! This year is the Year of Quintessence, and the hottest class under the sun will have a homecoming experience that is one to remember. So ladies, I am providing you with the top 9 things you need to know to have the best homecoming experience.

1.     Pop-out or Drop-out: Homecoming week is the week of slay at Hampton University. From events to parties to 12-5 on Friday, either you pop-out or you go home. Homecoming at our home by the sea means slay; slay with no delay, Ladies! If you have not ordered your outfits already, it is not too late for express shipping. Oh, and if you were planning to shop on Misguided, you should have purchased your items two weeks ago.

2.     Get Your Tickets Early: If you have not purchased your tickets already, you will be spending at least $25 per ticket. Make sure, when it comes to homecoming, that you are purchasing all of your party tickets early. If you are 21 and you have yet to purchase your No Chaser and New Rules tickets, then you are missing out on two of the best homecoming parties. Purchase before it is too late, prices will always go up.

3.     It is What You Make It: Have a positive attitude, gather your girls, pop-out, take pics, flood the gram, turn-up, break the internet, and do it all again the next day. Homecoming, like anything else at Hampton University, is what you make it.

4.     Be Prepared to Turn-Up: Just be prepared to turn-up. 168 hours, live them up to the fullest.

5.     What is Sleep? During Homecoming there is no such thing. Enjoy yourself. These are the moments you will remember with some of your favorite people. Don’t miss out on an experience because you were, “too tired.”

6.     Get Your Work Done Early: Now there is no compromise for turning in assignments and studying for exams. Homecoming is not an excuse for failing grades and struggling GPA’s. Get your work done early so you can enjoy the experience. Work hard in the day, party hard at night.

7.     Schedule Make-Up and Hair Appointments Early: There are a select few make-up artists and hair stylists on campus. They will take as many appointments as possible; but if you do not schedule early, you will not have anyone to go to! For make-up, I recommend BellesandBrushes with make-up done by @flawlesstoni and @jcoseyyy; also for make-up try @breakup2makeup, she has been doing my face for years. For hair, I recommend @stylesbylexx and @liberianbelle.

8.     Go to Every Event You Can! There are so many events you can go to in order to get the full experience! For starters, there is The Evolution of Excellence Fashion Show on Tuesday from 7-9 p.m. VIP is sold out! So you missed out on the all-inclusive VIP Pre-Party, but the show will be amazing regardless so purchase your general admission ticket. I am one of the coordinators (can’t you tell?) so I’d love for you to be there! There is also a step show, Fetty Wap Concert and more, so follow the @huhc168 Instagram page to stay update. 

9.     Have a Homecoming Survival Kit: Gatorade, flats, best friends, IPhone charger, water, a Harbors apartment (or a friend who stays there), Advil, a hair tie, a clutch, extra lip stick, positivity, spontaneity, and an umbrella just in case (we all know Hampton).

HUHC168, The Evolution of Excellence, 168 hours, how will you spend it?

My name is London Coleman-Williams, a graduating senior, strategic communications major, marketing and leadership studies dual minor studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I happen to be in love with all things fashion, pop culture, and public relations, and one of my favorite quotes is, "I am here to learn, I am here to evolve, I am here to give, I am here to slay", by Janelle Monae.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.