Home for the Holidays: Introducing Your New Boo to the Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of year in this fall season: Thanksgiving. If your family is anything like mine they are a dysfunctional bunch, but that makes holidays and get-togethers so much more fun. Am I right? If you have a special someone and are ready to make the leap forward for that “meet the parents” moment I’ll share my experience and offer tips as well to help you.

When my boyfriend met my parents it was complicated between the fact that he was injured at the time, hobbling on crutches and only a few people knew he was coming. I basically surprised everyone and threw him to the wolves hoping they would be on their best behavior. Another great thing is that his parents helped bring him inside the house which resulted in my family accommodating his needs and in return he interacted and socialized with everyone. There were no taboo topics or hard questions. He seemed to fit in perfectly and that was because of my coaching and prepping him before he met my family.

Side Note: meeting my family can go in either direction:

In order to make introductions run smoothly and lighthearted, there are a number of things you can do such as:

1. Give your significant other the run down on your family to help build conversation- I gave Cameron the rundown on the entire evening so he wouldn’t be left out or not understand little pointers that would help in conversation with everyone. Describe everyone that is going to be their and mention something that they have in common with them to develop conversation. Also inform them of any “tea” or drama that is current so that it won’t be awkward or surprising.

2. Make sure you’re “sweetie” mingles with your family- I let Cameron introduce himself and ask who everyone was and he gave compliments or some little conversation starter. It is important that he/she makes themselves known to everyone. Make sure he talks with your grandparents, parents, cousins…EVERYONE! Because first impressions are important.

3. Don’t be attached at the hip with your significant other-  I wasn’t constantly hanging on to Cameron. I left him by himself for a while so that my family was able to talk to him. Give him his own space to have conversations with people. Don’t be all up under him wondering what he is talking about with members of your family.

4. Remind them to be themselves- Cameron’s personality begins with him being shy and then blossoms into his funny, smart and cute self. No one wants someone who isn’t trying to be themselves, it only makes it worse and seems insincere. But, also let them know what your family expects if they are critical.

Her Campus Contributor Account 
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com