Style > Decor

Home Essentials, but Make it Black Owned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The year 2020 has been huge for black businesses. More and more people are buying black and redirecting their dollars to generate and promote wealth in the black community, and it has been nothing short of pleasurable to watch. While black beauty and fashion brands are undeniably killing it right now, it is imperative that we make sure we are buying black across the board; it’s time to bring it home, literally. 

Forvr Mood

Forvr Mood is a new lifestyle brand co-founded by the beauty guru, influencer, and youtuber, Jackie Aina. Forvr Mood launched in the beginning of August, initially with four candle scents: Caked Up, Left On Read, Matcha Business, and Cuffing Season. The mood inspired candles range in scent from sweet to floral to earthy, and they sold out within minutes upon launching.  A few weeks later, the brand expanded to silk pillow cases. If you didn’t know, silk pillow cases are an absolute essential for black women in regards to protecting their hair throughout the night. Forvr Mood has found its way into the homes and hearts of many, and there is no doubt this brand is here to stay.

Jungalow

Jungalow is an online home decor shop founded by Justina Blakenly, a blogger turned designer. Inspired by Blakenly’s blog of the same name, Jungalow the shop came to be as a result of Blakenly’s own plant filled, simplistic home. Jungalow features furniture, wall art, and bed and bath decor that will tend to all of your dream bohemian home needs. As if you needed another reason to journey into the Jungalow: this brand is completely environmentally friendly and prioritizes sustainability by planting two trees with each order, as well as the use of natural and recycled materials.

Robin Wilson Home

If you’re a high thread count sheet lover, Robin Wilson Home is a must try. The lifestyle brand was founded in 2000, with the intentions of creating a nontoxic linen that is asthma, and allergy friendly. Robin Wilson Home’s range extends to kitchen, lighting, and towels. Robin Wilson Home goes beyond bed and bath: the perfected hypoallergenic formula depicts a certain care and customer priority that is hard to comeby.

When redirecting your dollar, it may be difficult to break up with the big brands and corporations you know and love. However, black owned businesses are pulling up seats and building their own tables at a rate so significant that the brands you used to know will be a distant memory before you even confirm the order. What better time than now to make your home black owned?

Cheyenne Paterson is a senior English major, Strategic Communications minor studying at Hampton University from Boston, MA. She aspires to combine storytelling and an editorial style of writing to increase audience engagement and advocate for brands and corporations. Cheyenne is the Editor-In-Chief for Hampton University's Chapter of Her Campus, a regular contributor to Impressions of Beauty, and the President of the Peer Counselor's organization on campus. In her free time, Cheyenne enjoys dabbling in interior design, perfecting her homemade coffee, and baking new recipes!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!