Holiday Traditions: Kwanzaa Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This time of year for many is a time for celebration; a time for joy, laughter, family, and unity. Holidays have a way of bringing families and friends closer together. While traditions differ from household to household, the end result of happiness and unity always stays.

In my household, we celebrate Kwanzaa. Kwanzaa is a week-long celebration that recognizes African culture and traditions from December 26th to January 1st. There are different principles celebrated each day of Kwanzaa. The first principle is called Umoja, which means unity. This day celebrates unity in the family, race, community, and nation. The second principle is Kujichagulia, which means self-determination. This day celebrates the ability to name and define ourselves, and the true power that we hold. The third day is Ujima, which means collective work and responsibility. This day celebrates unity in the community, by making our brothers and sisters problems our problem and solving them together. The fourth day is Ujamaa, which means cooperative economics. This day celebrates building up each other’s businesses and profiting from them together. The fifth day is Nia, which means purpose. This day celebrates building up and developing our community to restore them of their true greatness. The sixth day is Kuumba, which means creativity. This day celebrates doing as much as we can to build up our community and leaving it more beautiful than before. Last but not least, the final day of Kwanzaa is called Imani, which means faith. This day celebrates believing in ourselves and our neighbors for the righteous of our struggle.

Through celebrating Kwanzaa, my family and I have grown closer to ourselves and each other. By learning more about our history and celebrating each other more, we share a better connection that benefits us year round. Each day we celebrate Kwanzaa, we give each other gifts that represent the purpose of that day. To me, the gifts do not mean as much as the actual purpose behind the day. I love having the opportunity to grow closer to my roots and celebrate its authentic traditions. As of last year, we have stopped celebrating Christmas along with Kwanzaa. We now solely celebrate Kwanzaa because we feel that it fits our family and lifestyle better. Kwanzaa is not just for the celebration of African Americans. There are other races that participate in Kwanzaa, and most celebrate it along with Christmas. It is a holiday that is based on unity, no matter the race, gender, or age of people. This time certainly brings my family and I closer together and helps us remember where we come from.

Happy holidays from mine to yours!

Cashara Quinn

Hampton U '21

Cashara is a graduating senior Journalism major, Spanish minor from Chesapeake, Virginia. She will be a news producer at WFTX Fox 4 upon graduation. Her hobbies include playing the violin, dancing, and fashion. As Cashara continues to build her resume, she hopes to inspire young girls to work hard to achieve their goals and believes that anything is possible through Christ.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.