History in the Making: 3 Inspiring Black Activists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we begin Black History Month, it’s important to look back at our history and realize how far we’ve come, the fights our ancestors fought and how we have persevered through it all. However, we know that the fight is far from over. Although our ancestors paved the way for us to have the freedoms and rights we have today, there are still many ways that we are disadvantaged as a people. Every generation needs its own leaders and impactful figures. So who are ours?

Yara Shahidi

Image Source: pagesix.com

Yara Shahidi is most known for her roles on the shows Blackish and Grownish. But off of the big screen, she passionately advocates for women empowerment and the power of going to the polls. Something she shares with her character, Zoey, is the drive she has for change. In 2018, Shahidi partnered with NowThis to launch her Eighteenx18 campaign. With this initiative she has encouraged many young people to actually go out to the polls and cast their vote. Her efforts contributed to a significant increase in youth voters that year.

Isra Hirsi

Image Source: Startribune.com

Isra Hirsi is a young lady who comes from black history in the making. Ilhan Omar, who happens to be her mother, is the first Somali-American woman to be elected to a state house and the first Somali-American to be elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. After realizing who her mother was, it was no surprise to find out that she had a passion for activism as well. Although she dealt with a number of issues including criticism and threats to her family due to her mother’s historical accomplishment, she did not let that stop her activism.

In January of 2019 Isra founded the U.S. Youth Climate Strike. According to vice.com, last March this organization’s largest strike inspired an estimated 1.6 million students around the world to skip school to protest the lack of action being taken in regards to climate change. At only 16 years old, Isra continues to take action to save the planet while simultaneously making a name for herself refusing to only be called, “Ilhan Omar’s daughter.”  

Mari Copeny

Image Source: Shortyawards.com

Amariyanna ‘Mari’ Copeny is a 13 year old activist better known as Little Miss Flint. When the Flint Water Crisis began in 2014, it left people across the country in shock. If we are such a developed country, why can’t we provide citizens with clean water? Mari Copeny took it upon herself not to sit around, ask unanswered questions, or wait for something to happen, but to start a movement. 

“Instead of feeling helpless, Mari decided to use her voice to help out her community and to fight for the kids in Flint,” her official website states. This young lady was the catalyst for change in Flint, Michigan when she wrote a letter to President Obama convincing him to come to her hometown. Because of this, the Flint Water Crisis gained national attention. Through her activism efforts Mari has raised $500,000 that positively impacted over 250,000 children. She also launched a bottled water campaign which raised over $280,000.

It is amazing to know that as a young black person, I come from greatness. That legacy of greatness started by my ancestors only continues into the present day. It is inspiring to consider that these three activists are still in their teens! In order to make change one does not need to be older and wiser. One just needs to have passion and drive to help the greater good. 

Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!