HERo: 4 Female Celebrities That Inspire Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

AVA DUVERNAY is an African American filmmaker, writer, director, and producer.  My two favorite works that she has directed are: When They See Us and A Wrinkle in Time.  Directing has been a passion of mine for about a year now.  Ever since I discovered a love for the film industry, I jumped right in and began directing a vast array of videos.  I’ve fallen in love with working behind the camera, and bringing a vision to life. I’ve always been a writer, but I was not exposed to screenwriting until this year. As a result of being in Scriptwriting 314 at Hampton University, taught by Professor Earl, I witnessed a new passion arise in my life. Writers are at the core of everything in film.  Without a writer, there is nothing to create. Directors are the bosses of the film industry. They have the final say, they run the set, they call the shots. I want to do both of these things. Ava DuVernay inspires me because she is a black woman who has become very successful in the film industry. She did not attend film school because she could not afford it, yet she has received 11 awards for her outstanding work.

My favorite Ava DuVernay quotes:

1. “There’s something very important about films about black women and girls being made by black women. It’s a different perspective. It is a reflection as opposed to an interpretation, and I think we get a lot of interpretations about the lives of women that are not coming from women.”

2. “Black people loving and losing is something we don’t see enough of. We’re always in these heightened situations like something big is happening, something funny or something violent. And you know what? Sometimes we die of breast cancer or a broken heart. Things happen that are just not being explored cinematically. It’s time we reinvigorated that type of film.” 

3. “If you’re doing something outside of dominant culture, there’s not an easy place for you. You will have to do it yourself.” 

RIHANNA is often viewed as a pretty face or a sex symbol.  But when I think of her, I think of a woman with many hats. She is a singer, model, makeup trailblazer, fashionista, actress, political advocate, and a non-profit organization owner. Rihanna has changed the game for women.  Celebrities, especially female, are often silenced because their fans just want them to “do their job.” However, Rihanna uses her beauty and her creativity to develop inclusive brands. She inspires me to chase all of my dreams, not just one.  I want to be a screenwriter, director, poet, non-profit owner, and a voice. Rihanna has taught me that you can be a girl boss at whatever you choose to do.

My favorite Rihanna quotes:

1. “Settling is the worst feeling in the world.”

2. “It’s tougher to be vulnerable than to actually be tough.”

3. “I don’t do things for the response or the controversy. I just live my life.”

RUPI KAUR is a poet and performer.  She started the revival of poetry for this generation in my opinion.  Her poetry book Milk and Honey went viral in 2014. Everyone was posting her poems on social media. Her next book, The Sun and Her Flowers, also did very well.  Her poems talk about many ideas concerning women, immigration, self-love, and healing.  Her poems are mostly short and easy to grasp, yet they make me feel and think of things differently.  I am a poet, and I have been since I was very young. I have always wanted to publish my own poetry books that will tell my story and assist others. A young black woman’s voice is essential to the poetic world, and I hope that my words will touch other people on a large scale. Rupi Kaur is a boss because she has shaken the world. She reminds us that poetry is not dead.

ZENDAYA is also a woman of many talents, but most of all she inspires me because of the person that she is.  She is a woman of character, who takes her image very seriously. I want to be the kind of woman that people can look up to and be inspired by. I aspire to use my voice for good and I desire for my actions to support my voice. Zendaya is a kind, genuine person; she is a role model for girls everywhere. Like her, I plan to use my personality to spread love, joy, wisdom, and awareness.  

My favorite Zendaya quotes:

1. “I have standards I don’t plan on lowering for anybody, including myself.”

2. “I love hearing educated people speak and just shut everyone up. Knowledge is always the loudest voice.”

3. “Don’t try so hard to fit in, and certainly don’t try so hard to be different. Just try hard to be you.”

Drew Miles

Hampton U '22

I am a junior English major with an area of emphasis in film studies at my Home by the Sea. Writers write.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!