This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we enter into the new year and the new decade, some of us may be feeling a little overwhelmed. With this new decade, many of us will be finishing school, starting our careers, possibly having families, becoming famous, etc. While we continue to think about what the future holds for us, there are some things we should keep in mind to help us to not completely fall apart. So of course, my gift to you in this new year/decade, here are five affirmations to keep you afloat. 

1. Their Success is NOT Your Failure 

Often as we continue to progress through life and try to decide what’s best for us, we tend to compare ourselves to others. When comparing yourself to other people, we usually start to see other people’s progress/success as a way to downplay all that you’ve accomplished. Especially in a time like today, where social media is so prevalent, you can’t escape seeing people post every aspect of their lives. When seeing those things, it’s always best to remind yourself, that you move at your own pace, the things that you’ve accomplished matter, and you matter.

1. Always Be Your Best Self 

In everything that you do, always make sure you are doing so by being your best self. Making sure that you put all the effort into what you want to do. Being your best self means that you stand grounded in what you want, reaching your full potential, pushing yourself to see how far you can go, and fully expressing all that you can/will do. 

1. Grow Through What You Go Through 

I’ve heard this saying so much last year on social media and this is one that I can’t agree more. Many of us may see our challenges or mistakes as a step backward when in reality these are some things that we can grow in. We find growth through all things that come our way. When moving forward with our lives, situations that we go through help us to become better in our standing to move forward with life. Growth is key. 

1. I Am Forever Changing 

You are allowed to change your mind, you are allowed to change your appearance, you are allowed to change your environment whether that be your scenery or friends, you are allowed to do all of it. Accepting that, growth can sometimes mean change and not to be afraid of it, helps you as you move forward in your lifetime. 

1. Today and Every Other Day, I Choose Me 

Most importantly, in this new year/decade, you choose you ALWAYS. Every person you meet, every event you attend, every time you step into work, you are your main priority. You have to make sure you’re good before doing anything else. So, please in this new year/decade take the steps necessary to make sure you’re ALWAYS at your best. 

Willow Jones

Hampton U '21

Willow is a Criminal Justice major from Harlem, New York. Willow has hopes of becoming a criminal defense attorney. In her spare time, she loves writing and hopes to merge law and writing together in the future.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.