mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

HBCU Press Call w/Kamala Harris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week I got the opportunity to be present on a conference call with presidential candidate Kamala Harris as part of an initiative to give HBCU student media access to her campaign. As a Howard alumna, she felt it was important to allow HBCU students from all over the opportunity to listen to her speak and answer questions about the changes she is trying to implement if elected president. 

There is a mixture of support and distaste for Kamala Harris among the black population. However, the one thing I had to respect that she started out with is that there are two things she believes shaped her into the person she is today; her family and Howard University. Her HBCU pride runs high, as she describes them as an environment where you do not have to be confined to a box or a stereotype of what it means to be a black person. 

One thing that she is adamant about improving on is endowments for historically black colleges and universities. She pointed out the fact that HBCUs receive only about $12 million in endowments, compared to the $23 million for PWIs. 

She stated that she gives back to Howard almost every year, both financially and by giving her time. She hopes to increase the federal funding for HBCUs and require increases in federal programs.

Kamala Harris showed confidence as she talked about the state of our country and the attacks on our democracy. As any ideal candidate should, she insisted upon her duty to the country and her fight to right the wrongs that have been done in the past. 

“My whole life I’ve been fighting for the people- and in the name of the people, I am ready to take on a man who has abused his power and abused the presidency,” said Harris, taking a shot at the orange man in the oval. 

Towards questions of her blackness and authenticity as a black politician, Harris fired back that question like that display people’s lack of exposure to the diaspora and what we know to be the range of who we (African-Americans) are. 

“I am clear about who I am,” she said.

To close out the conversation, Harris discussed the importance of educating others and not letting black people be manipulated by misinformation. She points out that the role of black journalists is important in making sure we get the facts out and not letting others manipulate our sense of identity. As a black politician, she understands that people are doubting her whether it be because of fear or lack of readiness.

“There is a conversation in this election where people are saying about my electability, ‘I don’t know if america is ready for a black woman to be president; maybe it’s not your time’, but here’s the thing: this is a conversation I’ve heard every single time. It has not just been about me saying I don’t hear that, but about showing people what’s possible, showing people what can be even if they’ve never seen it before.”

Kamala Harris will take the Democratic stage next on October 15 at Otterbein University in Ohio. Tune in to CNN to see her showdown against 11 of her opponents.

Kennedi Jackson is a senior journalism major, leadership studies minor from Atlanta, GA. She is one of the 2020-2021 associate editors for the HerCampus Hampton U chapter. Post-graduation, Kennedi hopes to work in an editorial position, communications department, or digital media.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.