HBCU Homecoming Legacy & Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Homecoming is a very exciting time for students and alumni to get together and enjoy the school they call home. HBCUs are known to have very big homecomings that celebrate the school and all of the people involved in it. To many, homecoming is like one giant family reunion.

The network of alumni that come together at homecomings bring about a great experience and connections with job opportunities as well as internships. Not only is homecoming a time to have fun, it is also a time for fellowship. Lifelong friends are made through the amazing journey homecoming is. Have you noticed that everyone POPS OUT for homecoming season? Yes, it’s actually its own season. It’s also a platform for the hottest outfits and trends of the year.

Additionally, there is a negative stigma against HBCUsfor doing “too much” when it comes to homecoming compared to PWI’S. While HBCU homecomings are known to be bigger, and beyond lit, they are not doing “too much” to prepare it. As a whole, HBCUs create a safe place for black students to learn, grow, and express themselves while also furthering their education. A major component of homecoming is who the performer will be for the school. It seems to make or break the excitement of homecoming. The school’s football game is also a very big event that many attend. The festivities and networking that make up homecoming give alumni and current students a sense of home, like they truly belong there. It is a great time to meet new people and have a great time! Stay alert and fly this homecoming season.

Cashara Quinn

Hampton U '21

Cashara is a graduating senior Journalism major, Spanish minor from Chesapeake, Virginia. She will be a news producer at WFTX Fox 4 upon graduation. Her hobbies include playing the violin, dancing, and fashion. As Cashara continues to build her resume, she hopes to inspire young girls to work hard to achieve their goals and believes that anything is possible through Christ.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.