AHC101b 0087r?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
AHC101b 0087r?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW

Hampton’s Cafeteria Food Needs Work!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Is the caf food getting worse? Yes, yes, it is. I want to understand why the caf food is not as good as it should be, especially now that we have a new president. The only reason I go to the caf is to socialize with my friends and get some fries to go with my conversation, even if they are unseasoned.

Here in Hampton, we don’t eat the caf food because we want to; we eat the food to survive. We have fried chicken Thursdays, seafood Fridays, and soul food Sundays, but it does not mean that the food is good or well seasoned. It is saddening to say, as an HBCU campus; we do not know the middle ground of seasoning. Sometimes, it needs more salt, and other times it is too much too much salt.

We always talk about how Black people are known to season their food, hints that is why there are so many people with preexisting conditions because of the over-seasoned food but this is another conversation for another day. I am not saying we should overseason the food, but can we at least add salt to the food?

As an HBCU, we should at least have food that is good enough to eat. The new president is trying, but is he trying hard enough? No, I am thankful for food trucks Tuesdays, but who is standing in line in 40-degree weather to get food? I can’t do it, and what about the people who have class during that time the food trucks are out there? I feel like the caf workers could try a little bit.

I have one question for the workers: do you guys eat the caf food yourself? If so, how do you feel about the food? As a student paying thousands of dollars to attend this explosive college, I shouldn’t be spending any more money on outside food. All I am saying is we need to do better!!

Tigist Ashaka

Hampton U '23

Hey everyone! My name is Tigist Ashaka. I am a junior attending Hampton University majoring in journalism. I am from Prince George's County Maryland.