Hampton University Students Unearth Their ‘Paths and Purposes’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

On Thursday, January 28, Hampton University’s Sophomore Public Relations Committee hosted one of the most inspirational seminars on campus: ‘Finding Your Path and Purpose.’

The event, created and directed by Mion Edwards, a sophomore Strategic Communications major from Washington, D.C., featured a panel of students, alumni and faculty. The panel featured Andrew Williams, Joye Parker, Marley Coles, Darrius Summers, Alexis Perry and Sociology Professor Idonia Barrett. Each panelist answered a series of questions about success, failure, and even shared personal testimonies.

“I am extremely delighted to have seen my vision grow from an idea into a seminar,” Edwards said in an Instagram post.

Edwards moderated the seminar with sophomore Strategic Communications major Naya Jacobs, both of whom delivered questions to each panelist. To kick off the seminar, Professor Barrett gave wise words of advice about identifying one’s path to greatness.

“Everything happens for a reason,” Barrett stated, “You never stop learning about yourselves, and after a while, you won’t care what [people] say about you. Don’t feel like you have to figure it out now.” Following this statement, Barrett provided further insight into choosing the right career.

“Look to what interests you, not to the money,” she said, “Figure our what you would want to change in society or in the world.”

After listening to this feedback, Alexis Perry, a senior Psychology major from Louisville, Kentucky, provided her insight on the same topic and described her experience with changing majors. “I changed from Psychology to MBA and back to Psychology,” Perry said, “The jobs came to me. Don’t chase the money. The money will come after you follow your passion.”

The seminar continued on the topic of staying true to one’s passion. Darrius Summers, a sophomore five-year MBA major, discussed the importance of sacrifice when it comes to friendships and relationships. “You don’t have to cut people off, but you must be able to differentiate yourself from people based on your goals,” Summers said, “It comes with sacrifice.”

To the same tune, Andrew Williams, a recent graduate of Hampton University and former preacher at the Hampton University Memorial Chapel, said, “When you have the right people around you, contemplation will take place. No one gets to where they are alone.”

Among these compelling panelists were former Miss Hampton, Joye Parker, and Loveable Buttons founder, Marlee Coles. Parker discussed her next moves following graduation, along with overcoming obstacles in life. “I am in the process of applying to graduate schools, and I have reached the second round of interviews for Teach For America,” Parker said, “We can be our own worst enemy at times, but it’s all about learning to take things one day at a time.”

Following Parker’s testimony was Marlee Coles, who shared her inspiring path to founding Loveable Buttons: a line of affordable accessories, which promote positive living, love, confidence and happiness. During her years at Hampton University, Coles majored in Business Management, which led her into the world of entrepreneurship. “Honestly, I didn’t know I wanted to be an entrepreneur,” Coles confessed. “My advice is, it’s never too late to start. Get the foundation and try each day to step in the right direction.”

After hearing each inspirational story from the panelists, the audience was instructed to take an index card and write down an obstacle. The panelists courageously shared their obstacles and the paths they were taking to overcome them. At the end of the evening, everyone took their index cards and tore them in half.

“To all of the panelists, thank you for your encouraging and inspiring words,” Edwards said, “I believe everyone should find their purpose in life, and I’m truly glad that I could help someone.”

My name is Chental-Song Bembry. I attend Hampton University as a sophomore Journalism major with a minor in Leadership Studies. I am passionate about writing, public speaking, and the business of television production. I am also the creator, author and illustrator of The Honey Bunch Kids series, which I use to promote literacy and entrepreneurship in youth. After graduating from Hampton University, it is my goal to develop The Honey Bunch Kids into a global brand.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.