Hampton Players Present: Little Shop of Horrors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The Hampton Players put their spin on the 1980’s classic Little Shop Horrors.  The play featured musical stylings from some of your favorite faces here at Hampton University.

Dr. Karen Turner-Ward coordinated the production. She eagerly sat in the back of the Little Theatre as she watched her hard work come to life. Amber Stancil, a sophomore journalism major minoring in marketing from Richmond, Virginia said, “She enjoyed the innovative use of props throughout the play.”

The set was well staged with two main set designs. Little props such as: clocks, light post, flowers, and even trashcans gave a realistic aspect of a struggling floral shop on Skid Row. Many of the students did not know how the Venus Fly Trap would be represented throughout the production. Amber stated “I was expecting a paper mache figure. Not a machine.”  The Audrey 2 was able to swallow victims and serenade the crowd.

The Hampton Players put on great production that all ages could laugh and cry about. Be on the look out for more upcoming events as the Hampton Players Present Alicia Keys’ “Stick Fly.”

Des'Tini "Butter" LaGrone is a sophomore Journalism major, minoring in Spanish at Hampton University. She hails from St.Louis, Missouri and encourages others to be a Goal Digger.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.