This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Whether you know him as Rod, Rodney or this year’s Mr. Ivy, you can now refer to him as this week’s Hampton Man Crush. Rodney Garner II is a 4th year architecture major from Charlotte, NC, who took the time to chat with Her Campus one-on-one so that you could get to know him better. From overcoming fears, to words of wisdom, and of course his relationship status, we discussed it all. So, if you want to get to know him, or you’re curious to see who has Her Campus crushing so hard, this is the article for you!

HC: What made you want to major in Architecture?

RG II: So, ever since middle school, I’ve known math was my favorite subject; I never liked any of the other subjects. But it wasn’t until high school when I took my first art class that I realized drawing was a talent I had as well. The high school I attended offered drafting classes and someone suggested that I take one, so I did and eventually I found architecture, which combined my love for math and drawing. I decided to major in it because I wanted to learn more and thought if I learned more, I would love it so I looked for schools with good architecture programs and so far I’m really enjoying it.

HC: What are some of the things you’re involved in on campus?

RG II: On campus, I am a member of the American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS) and serve as Co-chair of the fundraiser committee for Men’s Caucus. I am also a member of NCPAC, Serenity for the Soul, and am on the practice team for the Hampton Basketball organization. I am also serving as Mr. Ivy for the 2019-2020 school year.

HC: Well, it’s clear that you are very involved, so what do you like to do in your freetime?

RG II: I just like being out sometimes. Not even in a “party scene” way. I could go out to the mall and walk around, regardless if I’m buying something or not, I can just relax and enjoy my time. I also love basketball and I love to play golf.

HC: If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

RG II: Wow, if I could have dinner with anyone, it would be Common. Jay Z is actually my favorite rapper, but Common speaks more about real life and events that are going on in today’s world. He’s more spiritual, which I feel makes him more than just a rapper, he’s an artist and his music is dynamic. He can do rap, but he can also do R&B and soulful music.

HC: What would you say is your best quality?

RG II: I would definitely say that my best quality is my communication. As someone who believes in treating people the way I want to be treated, I’m always mindful of how I come across to others, so having that mindset has definitely shaped how I communicate.

HC: With the school year coming to an end, what has been your most memorable moment so far?

RG II: Definitely doing the 2019 Mr. Ivy Scholarship Pageant. When I posted my flyer, so many people were surprised because they know I’m not one to be on the scene or tries to own the spotlight. However, I decided to do the pageant because I know the person I want to be in the future will have to be used to the spotlight and I also felt like I could fulfill the duties of Mr. Ivy. Having that experience helped me with my public speaking and also built my self-confidence, so it’s definitely my most memorable moment.

HC: In the spirit of all things Quintessence, what advice would you give your freshman self?

RG II: If I could talk to my freshman self, I would tell him to never be afraid to fail and to and remember that he came to Hampton for a reason, to meet new people and experience new things. I would tell him to not to be afraid to be uncomfortable because that’s the only way to grow and to not be afraid to voice his opinion.

HC: Of course we’d save the most anticipated questions for last -lol. Are you single and if so, what qualities do you look for in a girl?

RG II: *Laughs* How did I know this question was coming? Yes, I am single. Some qualities I look for in a woman are of course communication and someone I can feel comfortable around. Also, knowing that she wants to make me better the same way I want to make her better. She’s tall and confident in herself and is basically someone I can grow with.

Although this interview helped give you an idea of who Rodney is, there’s much more to him than meets the eye. For instance, who would have known that this Charlotte native is originally from the Bronx? He may be quiet, but he’s pretty easy to talk to, so if you see him around campus, feel free to say hi! Thank you, Rodney and good luck on the rest of your school year!

Jasmine Baity

Hampton U '19

Hello Lovlies! My name is Jasmine Baity and I am a graduating senior marketing major from Raleigh, NC. This is my first time being part of HerCampus and I am so excited to be part of this team. I am also President of the National Marketing Honor Society, co-editor of The Hamptonian Yearbook, and involved with a few other things. I am funny and approachable, so if you see me around, feel free to say hello!
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com