This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Sometimes when you feel like you have used virtually every hair product on the planet and you haven’t found one that works for you, it could mean that the hair products you’ve tried just weren’t made for your hair type. I have struggled with this in the past, but after a series of trial and error and a little bit of research, I am able to give some helpful tips and suggestions to my fellow 4C sisters.

First off, many know that 4C hair is the most tightly coiled of all of the hair types, but there’s more to know. People with 4C hair are also more likely to have a lot of shrinkage. 4C hair is also the most fragile hair type and is more prone to snapping, especially when it is dehydrated or you flat iron and blow dry it. Another thing to know about 4C hair is that the hairs tend to wrap around each other easily, which means that it is easily tangled and may make combing it unpleasant. When moisturizing hair, it is best to put water on your hair and then lock it in with your moisturizer; hair stylists call this the LOC method. I know this may not sound ideal since it just enhances the shrinkage, but even though I love to wear my hair big, it is best for hair to be moisturized and healthy. The type of hair products that are best for 4C hair are ones that are heavier ones. Although suggested for 4C hair, I do not personally use gels, and they definitely work well for other people. That’s another thing. Once you narrow down the types of hair products that are best for your hair, you still may have to do a bit more searching to do until you find the best one for you, but at least you’ll be looking in the right places. Hair milks, for example, can work for some people and not others of the same hair type and the same goes for other types of hair products. It just depends on your hair’s porosity, which is its ability to hold moisture. It can sometimes take time to find the right product, but that’s a part of the hair journey. It would be so much easier if the hair types products were made for were put on the hair products’ containers, but since they aren’t, here are a couple recommendations for you to look into.

1. Mango Butter by Hollywood Hair Bar

2. Pure Honey Moisture Whip Twisting Cream by Creme of Nature

3. Fortifying Crème Hair Dress by ORS Olive Oil

4. Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream by Cantu

5. Shea Butter & Flaxseed Oil, Moisturize & Define Curling Creme by African Pride

6. Hair Milk (Nourishing and Conditioning) Original Leave-In Moisturizer by Carol’s Daughter

7. Argan Oil Hair and Scalp Conditioner by Softee

8. Hair Food by Softee

9. Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment by Creme of Nature

10. Conditioning Creamy Hair Lotion by Cantu

Remember, that not all of the same hair products work for everyone, so please do not be discouraged if none of these products appeal to you or if you have tried them all and none of them have worked. Just keep looking. There’s something out there for everyone.

-Your Fellow 4C Sister

Kierstyn Chambers is a first year English Education Major, from Birmingham, Alabama. She enjoys helping people and making the people around her happy. She plans to become a teacher and try to help low income school systems. She also loves movies and poetry.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!