This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

I know you all have been dying to get the scoop on natural hair care tips, so I had the opportunity to speak with the lovely Imani D. Whiteside, a 26 year old hair hairstylist and business owner. The Virginia native dropped a few gems on how to maintain healthy hair, and how she perfected her craft as a hair guru.

HC: What inspired you to want to do hair?

IW: I’ve been doing hair since I was 12, I’ve been in the salon since I was 15 and I started off as a braider. I honestly just love to make people feel beautiful, so that’s what really inspired me to do hair.

HC: What were the steps you took to get to where you are now?

IW: First I went to braiding school at Celebrity Styles & Essentials in Hampton.  About three years ago I started my apprenticeship at Salon Blue, which was around the time I decided to specialize in weaves and natural hair care.

HC: What hair care tips do you have for maintaining natural, healthy hair?

IW: Stay away from heat as much as possible, and always get protein & hydrating treatments. The steam treatments are really excellent for natural hair, because our hair lacks moisture. Get your ends trimmed as well as steam treatments every 6-8 weeks.

HC: There’s a common misconception that weave is damaging to African American Hair

IW: It’s not, as long as you’re getting your treatments in between your weave installations and not keeping them in for long periods of time. It’s actually really healthy for your hair because you’re able to give your hair a break. 

HC: Because of your talents, can you see yourself going on a hair tour?

IW: Yes! Eventually, once my kids get older.

HC: What flat irons are really good for African American hair?

IW: I use the Titanium BayBliss on my clients. Titanium flat irons are really good for your hair versus Ceramic. You always want to keep your temperature 410 degrees Fahrenheit or lower, unless your hair is coarser

HC: What’s the best texture of hair to use for weaves?

IW: Brazilian is really good but personally, I don’t recommend Brazilian straight only because it can be hard to curl and blend at times.

HC: What hair products do you recommend for natural hair?

IW: I use Design Essentials, they’re a natural line. A lot of my clients use Shea Moisture.

So that’s that ladies! I hope you have learned a couple things about keeping those tresses healthy. Imani’s shop is located in Hampton, Va at Aface Hair Studio. You can also check her out on instagtram at StylesbyImani_

Kennedy Brooks is a Junior Strategic Communications major from Sacramento, California. She enjoys listening to music, chilling on the beach, and eating Thai food. She wants to pursue a career in Public Relations and Marketing with an emphasis in the music industry. Eventually, she hopes to travel the world and embark on new journeys that come her way. A quote that she lives by is, "Consider becoming the type of energy that no matter where you go, or where you are, you always add value to the spaces and lives of those around you."
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.