Wellness > Sex + Relationships

A Guide to Enjoying Valentines Day Despite Being Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Valentine’s Day is filled with gifts, roses, and chocolates if you have a significant other. If you don’t, your day may consist of the complete opposite. Being single on this day shouldn’t always be a sad thing. Just because you aren’t in a relationship doesn’t mean that you can’t go out and enjoy yourself. Valentine’s Day celebrates all forms of love rather it’s romantic or platonic. The best thing for single people to do on this day is to appreciate themselves and focus on self-care. You do not need someone else to be in your life to be loved or fulfilled. Love isn’t defined by what someone else does for you but more of what you do for yourself. Here are some ways you can enjoy Valentine’s Day while not being in a relationship. 

1. Try to stay off social media

The first step you can take to making your day more enjoyable is staying away from social media. In today’s generation, social media has become one of our biggest influencers. We get most news and updates through social media, so nothing will change on Valentine’s Day. If your friend’s boyfriend bought her a promise ring with a dozen roses, you’ll know. If your ex is taking his new boo out to dinner trust me, you’ll know. Why force yourself to see that when you don’t have to? 

Limiting your use of social media on this day will help you stay detached from everyone else’s lives. On this day, social media will serve as nothing but a constant reminder of how single you are. It can affect you more than you think by inducing feelings of sadness and loneliness. Avoiding social media, at all costs, can help repress these thoughts.

2. Get Out 

Consider going outside to do something self-fulfilling and constructive. To be honest, you cannot love someone else unless you love yourself. That’s why you should use this day to do something for you. Take control of the day and do things that bring you joy instead of wishing you had someone. Visiting the gym is a good idea and it’ll keep your mind off of your singleness. Who knows, you may meet someone who is there because they’re single too.

After you’ve gone out, consider buying a nice gift to show yourself some appreciation. If you want flowers, chocolate or a heartfelt card, buy some. Keep in mind that there’s nothing someone can do for you, that you can’t do for yourself. Creating these experiences is important and it’ll help you realize that all you really need, on Valentine’s Day, is yourself. 

3. Find other singles to enjoy the day with!

You will not be the only person single this year, so take advantage of that. If you were in a relationship that didn’t make it to Valentine’s Day that is okay. If you’re missing an old relationship around this time, allow yourself to put Valentine’s Day into perspective. The day is not all about loving someone else. It’s about loving yourself. So instead of counting your losses, spend time with close friends. It’s important to remember that this day is for singles too! Consider going out to a bar with a group of single friends. If partying isn’t your scene, take a more relaxing approach by visiting the spa. Doing this can help you forget the fact that you’re single. Your day can be just as enjoyable as those in relationships. 

Being single is such a liberating experience. Whether you want to admit it or not, not having an obligation to anyone else, but yourself is very fulfilling at this age. Society constantly puts pressure on us by overemphasizing the notion of love. The most important love comes from within and is not achieved by materialistic gain. Valentine’s Day may serve many different meanings to everyone but one thing remains constant. No matter the relationship status your day can be enjoyable it’s all up to you.

Brandi Howliet

Hampton U '21

Brandi Howliet is a third year student studying journalism and marketing at Hampton University. Brandi seeks advice from online blog sites regularly. Doing this has sparked her passion in pursuing a career in journalism and freelance blogging. She enjoys traveling, journaling and crystal meditation.