Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

Growing Up In An HBCU Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The Historically Black College and University (HBCU) experience is one like no other! All my life I knew I wanted to attend an HBCU for higher education. It was because I am deep-rooted in HBCU culture. Having first-hand experience of what type of professionals HBCUs produced led me to my decision to attend Hampton University.

I am a third-generation HBCU attendee. My paternal grandparents attended and met at Fort Valley State University. While my maternal grandparents went to Winston-Salem State University and North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. My parents followed tradition, they graduated and met at Winston-Salem State University. Two years ago it was my turn to follow in my family’s footsteps. After doing months of research on HBCUs, I made my choice…The Standard of Excellence, Home By The Sea, The Real HU…Hampton University. 

From a young age, my parents and my grandmother told stories about student involvement and school pride. Every year my parents would take me to WSSU’s homecoming football game. The electric energy felt when attending homecoming and sporting events was contagious. I met their friends, professors, and classmates. My family not only taught me to take pride in the social aspect of college but take pride in academic success. The 106 HBCUs across the country are responsible for 20% of all African American graduates. One thing was for certain, that despite graduation year or major, everyone was family.

Although I was raised in an HBCU family, I still had doubts about where I wanted to attend for higher education. Being surrounded by people who only knew about predominantly white institutions, teachers and peers would solely focus on them. I’ll never forget my freshman year of high school when I expressed the colleges I was considering. The teacher responded with “I think you can do better than that.” For her it was an innocent comment, however, it created doubt in what I was accustomed to with my family. 

Historically black colleges and universities provide a unique experience as opposed to predominantly white institutions. I graduated from my predominantly white high school and started a new adventure at Hampton University. I am now surrounded by young adults who look like me that want to make a positive change in the world. In my time attending the university, I have met amazing people who wanted to see me succeed. I have made lifelong friends and memories that I will keep with me forever. Hampton is definitely the right place for me. 

I am proud to be a third-generation HBCU student. I only have two years left of my undergraduate experience and I plan to take full advantage of what my HBCU has to offer. While attending Hampton University, I am strengthening my confidence as a black female to enter the adult world where I must work three times harder to succeed. I love my HBCU!

Ryanne Howard

Hampton U '23

Ryanne Howard is a junior at Hampton University. She is a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Leadership Studies from Raleigh, North Carolina. At Hampton University she is a member of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute as well as the Student Recruitment Team. Ryanne aspires to be a Public Relations Manager for a major company in the golfing industry.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!