nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Greek of the Week: Matthew Adams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Hey Her Campus readers! This week’s greek of the week is Matthew Adams. Matthew is a sophomore Business Management major from Stone Mountain, GA. He is a Spring 2019 initiate into the Gamma Iota chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated. On campus, he is a member of the esteemed Greer Dawson Wilson Student Leadership Training Program. He is also assistant to the fundraising director in the SGA Cabinet and a member of Men’s Caucus. You’ve probably seen him on a stage somewhere as he is also the unofficial Ogre Class MC. Read on to learn about this Alpha man!

HC: What was your favorite part of Springfest?

Matthew: One of my favorite things was the block party in the stu, because it had the “old Hampton” energy. Another was the step show because it was an opportunity for everyone to show how hard they’ve been working. I got to host it and see my chapter (GI) bring back another trophy.

HC: Why did you choose Alpha?

Matt: Part of it was because of the people I looked up to in the chapter such as Michael Adams, Ian Weaver, and Baron Edmondson to name a few;  Also was the way the alphas carried themselves on campus, such as how they’re respected, they hold different positions and are involved, and show a dedication to community service and putting on great events.

HC: As a new initiate, do you feel like people see and/or treat you differently than before?

Matt: Yes, I’ve met a lot more people. I’ve seen a change in some people. When I first crossed, everyone’s looking at you, the guys with the bald heads, and some people just stare. There are people now who I’ve talked to or been around that i wasn’t hanging around before. Some of it has to do with having LBs so I get to meet other people’s friends. I’m usually reserved about who I let in my life but now being in a fraternity I’m always around new people.

HC: What do you hope to bring to the chapter and fraternity as a whole?

Matt: Positive exposure. Part of the reason I wanted to be a part of GI was because of the guys in the chapter and how they carry themselves and are respected by the public. I want to continue that positive image by being active through my different organizations and academic achievements. I also want to bring mental health awareness because it is a big thing in the community, especially with black men, so it’s something I want to tackle.

HC: What do you think is your most attractive quality?

Matt: My loyalty. Once I have a connection with somebody I’m loyal to them and always make sure they’re taken care of.

HC: Are you in a relationship and if not what are you looking for in a girl?

Matt: No, not currently. Looking for good sense of humor, caring, selfless, independent. I’m very observant of the way a girl carries herself.

HC: Do you have any plans for the summer?

Matt: This summer I plan on interning in Atlanta with a consulting company, while also obtaining my real estate license.

HC: What are your after college plans?

Matt: I want to open up my own consulting/management firm serving entertainers and athletes. I want to have fun but still be very helpful. I want part of the firm to be dedicated to struggling families, especially single moms.

HC: What’s one thing you took away from joining a fraternity?

Matt: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift from God, that’s why it’s called the present.

Check out Matthew on instagram @matt2timez.

Kennedi Jackson is a senior journalism major, leadership studies minor from Atlanta, GA. She is one of the 2020-2021 associate editors for the HerCampus Hampton U chapter. Post-graduation, Kennedi hopes to work in an editorial position, communications department, or digital media.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com