Greek of the Week: Kayla Brooks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Meet Kayla Brooks, a GRADUATING Senior, Business Management Major, Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Kayla is a member of many organizations on and off campus including the Student Recruitment Team, Freddye T. Davy Honors College, Campus Curlz, Sigma Beta Delta, Gloucester Emerging Leaders and Refuge Christian Church College Ministries.

Kayla is also a Spring ‘16 initiate of Delta Sigma Theta, Sorority Inc., and she spent the Spring ‘17 semester studying abroad in Costa Rica! This week we got to catch up with this busy lady her a few questions. Read below to see what we uncovered!

HC: What’s your biggest accomplishment since coming to Hampton?

KB: Hm. Good question I feel like I have to outdo myself every year. Sophomore year I became a Delta, last year I studied abroad so, I need to find something to do this year to outdo self from out last year.

HC: Tell me a little bit about your study abroad semester?

KB: It was life-changing. It is great to be at an HBCU surrounded by like-minded people but you need to surround yourself with other backgrounds there’s many cultures and stuff that need to be considered.

HC: Do you think your semester away has distanced you from your sorority?

KB: Not at all! I was able to leave because of them. My biggest concern was that they moved on [when I was gone], but they even threw me a going away party. I was in their prayers and thoughts. I don’t think anything has changed.

HC: Do you think it’s harder to be Greek? Who are you outside Kayla the Delta?

KB: Good question. There a lot of things you don’t consider when you’re not Greek. People are watching me and whether letters on or not I want to make sure I represent my organization, the legacy and women before me. Outside of Kayla the Delta I’m just a regular person. We [Greeks] get a lot of praise and recognition put on us but I’m still in college, I’m still finding a job, and my way through life.

HC: What made you choose DST? Is Greek life popular back home?

Kayla: My mom is a Delta. She never put it in my face but I always knew she was a Delta. I only knew about AKA’s and Delta’s and that they were “rivals”. I knew nothing about either organization but I would always joke and tell her that I’m gonna be an AKA. But after research, I found that I am more aligned with Delta and that’s where I saw the light.”

HC: How would you describe Greek life on Campus? What’s your favorite part about being Greek?

KB: The network, it comes with a large social and professional network. Whether it be a party or organization event Greek networks can be utilized in many different rooms. Soros also help look out for jobs.

HC: Has Greek life influenced your dating life?

KB: No.

HC: Are you currently involved with someone? If so, would you say that with your busy schedule you find the time commitment hard?

KB: I am., [and] he’s not a Greek, but I wouldn’t say so. My boyfriend is Mr. Delta Gent so our work does intertwine but he’s also busy so we compliment each other well.

HC: How would you feel if a guy had talked to one or more of your line sisters?

KB: Yikes. *Laughs* If they have an issue then I have then I have [an] issue. But if they don’t, then no.  

HC: Alphas, Ques, Kappas, Sigmas, or Iotas?

Kayla: Alphas or Ques

Well ladies and gentlemen there you have it! Be sure to check out this DevSTating Diva on Snap: @king.kayla and IG: @_imperfectperfection_

Dazha is a junior Aviation Management major with a concentration in Air Traffic Control at Hampton University. A Maryland native, she enjoys the outdoors, cooking, and crafts projects. Upon graduation Dazha plans to commission into the United States military or go the civilian route and work as an Air Traffic Controller somewhere close to home.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.