This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Aman Tune is a senior double majoring in political science and international studies on the pre-law track from Silver Spring, MD. Aman is a Spring 2019 initiate into the Gamma Iota Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. 

HC: As a graduating senior and someone who is very active on campus, what advice would you give someone just starting out here and trying to find their footing? 

Some advice that I would give is definitely just making sure that you get involved in things that you are passionate about. I would not recommend getting involved in organizations that do not interest you. I think it is imperative that people remain true to who they are. Of course it is important to step out of your comfort zone but I don’t think that people should do anything that is not natural to them or something that is forcing them to do something that they would not normally do. 

HC: I see that you’re a double major in political science and international studies, how does this align with your passions and what do you intend to do with these majors upon graduation?

So, for me it specifically aligns with my passion because I love politics and other areas of the world and the way their societies work intrigues me. Double majoring also allows me to essentially get my footing in each aspect that I’m passionate about. Whether that be talking about education, immigration, civil rights or mental health. Also, those two majors together really gives me a better perspective on not just what’s happening domestically but also what is happening internationally. Those majors just give me a broader perspective which is so important in today’s political climate just so we are not so close minded. As far as what postgrad looks like for me, after Hampton I have the opportunity to go abroad for a year and intern.

HC: As a new initiate into Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. what, in terms of your passion and aspirations, led you to this particular sorority. 

For me, because I’m so politically involved, the women of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. really interested me. In fact the first act of service that my founders did was political. So for me, since the woman I had seen growing up in my life were always politically involved and always engaged and they were also Deltas, that was important to me. I was just so aligned and in awe with the work they were doing.                                             

HC: I know you love Michelle Obama’s book “Becoming”. In it she states “Do we settle for the world as it is, or do we work for the world as it should be?” What does this quote mean to you and how do you think it will or has tied into your own political perspective of the world? 

Well we definitely have to work for the world that we wish to see. It’s essential and imperative because if we settle for the world we live in, then we are not really achieving anything. We’re not propelling, were not advancing, we’re getting comfortable. I think our generation has gotten comfortable in certain aspects but we also do realize that in order for us to change the norms and get rid of these prejudices and create a world we wish to live in, we must put in the work and make the change, Which is why I work so hard because I would love to see a world where people feel safe and feel like they can be open about things like their sexuality, their religion, their race, how much they’re getting paid. I want a world with a quality healthcare system, quality education and so much more.

HC: It is no secret that involvement on Hampton’s Campus can be intimidating. What advice would you give to someone coming into their own at Hampton University and finding the confidence to go after the things they want?

I would say they should just step back and analyze what will be best for them throughout their four years in college and make sure the work they are getting into will not over extend them. Because at Hampton it is easy to get caught up in a lot of organizations and maybe even starting your own organization. But it does not matter how many organizations you are a part of, what matters is the quality of work you produce within the organizations you are a part of.

HC: Many people see you on campus, but they do not know the real you. What would you say is a common misconception about you and what is one thing you would want those reading this to know about you?

Definitely a common misconception about me is that I have everything together. I think that the way I come off is that I can handle a bunch of things at once and in reality I’m just like everyone else. I need breaks, I need mental health days. There are days that I don’t want to do anything at all and there’s times when I just want to be by myself and have some “Aman time” because it may seem like I can do everything but I definitely can’t. I’m learning more and more how to delegate. One thing I would want people to know about me is that I’m really goofy, I love doing adventurous and spontaneous things, I love to paint and yeah, I’m not always business. 

HC: Self-care is so important to you. What advice would you give to your fellow Hamptonians on protecting their peace despite the many demands Hampton culture puts on its students.

Recognize the kind of energy that you surround yourself with. That plays a big role in the way that you go about doing self-care. I think Hampton can be very taxing and makes you feel like you have to do a million things at once to make it look like you’re doing something. But at the end of the day, if your mental health is lacking everything else in your life will suffer as well.

Last but certainly not least, Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I don’t know. I don’t know if I even believe in the 5 year plan anymore. I think it’s more realistic to know where I’ll be in 3 years and that’s just traveling, being in Europe and doing the things that I love. You know, maybe I’ll find a cute little boyfriend or whatever we’ll see…someone that’s emotionally intelligent and responsible, but we won’t go there. 

Nia Saunders

Hampton U '20

Nia Saunders is a third year political science major on the pre-law track at Hampton University. Nia is from Niskayuna, NY and aspires to be a political writer following her matriculation at HU.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.