Greek Plaza Unveiling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

After a long year of construction, Hampton University unveiled its newest project-an ode to Greek sisterhood/brotherhood. The Greek Plaza has been added to campus and opened for the public. The plaza features nine respective courts for each individual Divine Nine organization.

Formerly, Hampton University was one of the few HBCU’s that didn’t feature a plot where members of the D9 could come together for fellowship and celebration. Last year Hampton began a campaign in order to honor all nine historically African American, international Greek letter fraternities and sororities. The Plaza was created in order to maintain the legacies of service and scholarship in which all organizations of the Divine Nine are known for.

With funds raised by alumni and NPHC members, the Greek Plaza was officially unveiled Friday during Homecoming. The Greek alumni and current undergraduate Greeks then cut the opening ribbon, releasing balloons to celebrate.

The Greek Plaza adds to the scenery of Hampton University’s campus and will be a continuous symbol of African American greatness for decades.

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.