Woman in Sorority and posing
Woman in Sorority and posing
Kamryn Johnson
Life > Experiences

Greek of the Week: Kamryn Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Happy New Year! This year, we’re starting Greek of the Week with Kamryn Johnson! Kamryn Johnson is a junior 5-year MBA major and leadership studies minor from Austin, Texas. She is a Fall 2021 initiate into the Gamma Theta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Ms. Johnson is known to be a helping hand to everyone in the Hampton community. She serves as the Onyx 12’s class treasurer, president of James T. George School of Busines Bigs, a member of the Sigma Beta Delta Honor Society, and a member of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute. Kamryn is someone who goes out of her way for others, a true gem. You can learn all about her in this article!

What’s your favorite food?

Oooo, salmon and mac n cheese.

Together or separate?

Hmmm, in that case, just mac n cheese.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Kofi Siriboe, let’s go with that one.

Whew, that’s a fine man!

Always been one of my favorites.

What TV show has you hooked?

Kamiel, I don’t watch TV like that! Hmm, I want to start one of the k-dramas I picked. The first one I’m going to watch is called “Hometown Cha Cha Cha”.

What’s your favorite music genre?

Right now I’m really into neo-soul and neo-R&B. I feel productive when I’m listening to neo-R&B. I feel like I get more work done.

I agree! Sometimes I feel like you’re reading my mind because I was thinking the same thing. I also love your Spotify playlist!

Right! Thank you!

What are your long-term career goals?

Once I finish at Hampton, I want to go into human resources. My mom always told me I have a passion for helping people. When I was in middle school and high school, I discovered I had a passion for leadership as well, and so in college, I started to wonder, “how can I turn this into a career?”. So, I decided human resources was the way to go because I love helping people. I love inspiring people and mentoring people.

What made you choose Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.?

My mom is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha and all the prominent women in my life as well. Most, if not all of them, are a part of Alpha Kappa Alpha. They inspired me to achieve my dreams, lean on my community, and also give back to my community. I believed that one of the best ways to do that was to also be a part of a sorority that gave me a platform to inspire others as they have inspired me.

What is one thing you learned about yourself on the road to becoming a member?

I’ve learned that my greatest strength is my ability to help others. I always knew it was something I was passionate about, but becoming an AKA showed me that on a broader spectrum. Now, I have a lot of sisters and we’re able to come together as a group and help each other and balance each other out.

Do you feel like people have treated you differently since you’ve become Greek?

I would say no. I feel like I’ve always been very approachable, even before we got to Hampton. Even when we were in those group chats and stuff like that. I don’t think that’s changed and I hope that it doesn’t. I’ve always carried myself the way that I want others to see and treat me. I feel like I’ve stayed pretty approachable and I would like to keep it that way. I hope that that doesn’t change.

What has been your favorite part about being in a sorority?

Definitely serving with my sisters! When we were home we would discuss the serving opportunities we were doing. Some in Chicago did food banks and for J15, my mom, cousin, and I went to go pass out blankets to the homeless. I love seeing my sisters go out and do what we do and be strong, educated black women. That’s one of my favorite parts!

What distinguishes an Alpha Kappa Woman from members of other sororities?

Oooo. I feel like besides the fact that we were the first, from my own experiences with Alpha Kappa Alpha outside of even being a member, I always saw Alpha Kappa Alpha women out in the community helping other people. In my hometown, they’re always in front of the MLK walk that takes place every year. So, just seeing them out in the community and helping people is something that we do best.

What would you say inspires your style and do you feel like Hampton culture has influenced your style?

Sooooo in high school, I did not have a sense of style. I knew what looked good on me, so I just went with that. However, when I got to college, I would definitely say Hampton inspired me to find my own style. I’m one of those people who dress in what’s comfortable for me, but I also like to make it look cute, dress it up a bit. I’ve also started to realize I’m a purse girl. I have Coach, a Telfar, a couple of Micheal Kors purses, and more. So, I’ve realized I’m one of those people who will wear streetwear outfits, but my purse will be my statement piece. Hampton definitely has influenced my style. Additionally, in high school, I didn’t go to school with a lot of black people, so dressing was very different. Hampton taught me to step my game up. I’d then start dressing for the workplace, going out with friends, and different scenarios.

I totally understand that. I love wearing more low-key outfits and spicing it up with accessories. I feel like accessories can really make or break the outfit.

Yesss! I’m also lowkey a sneakerhead, not a big one, but I’m slowly working on it. Nike is definitely my go-to. I want more air maxes. I’m a big purse girl, but I also love my sneakers.

Girl, remind me to send you some sneaker recommendations!

Period!

How has the pandemic impacted your mental health? How have you dealt with the ongoing changes?

When we first went home it felt like a slap in the face. It was in the middle of freshman week, and as a class officer planning the festivities of the week, it was disappointing. Then we were told we could come back and they pulled the plug on that last minute. That kind of messed with my mental health a little bit, like I was definitely on the depressing side of things. I started talking to a professional of course to figure out my personal feelings. Since then I’ve better aligned myself and my goals. I highly recommend talking to someone if it’s something you don’t already do. It really helped me. Finding someone you trust, professional or not, that can tell you “yo, this is not healthy” or can recognize that you aren’t in the right headspace. Even in this weird phase of the pandemic, I’ve started focusing on the things that I can control. When I’m stressing I have to focus on what I can control and everything else will fall into place.

With the pandemic in mind, how do you feel about 100 Days?

I feel like it can be done, as long it’s done safely. We did Homecoming safely! We’re college students, we’re grown and we have to hold ourselves, and friends, accountable. It’s possible! I didn’t get to celebrate freshman year, so if the opportunity presents itself safely and responsibly then I’ll go and celebrate. I have sisters who are graduating this year, so I want to go and celebrate them.

What are some of your pet peeves?

I don’t like dumb questions…I mean that in a sense that if something has been addressed and you’re bringing unnecessary things back up. Also, not taking accountability for things you said you’d do. I don’t like when people don’t follow through, but that’s about it. Ooo, also liars. Don’t lie to me.

I know that’s right. Also, what’s your relationship status?

I am single…Kamiel why would you ask me this!

Haha, so being single, what are some qualities potential prospects should have?

I want someone who will make me laugh and smile. I love to laugh as you know; I’ve laughed fifty times during this interview! I’d love someone who can crack jokes, someone who is driven, and someone who knows how to dress. You have to be tall too, I’m 5’10…Six feet is the minimum.

What are some red flags?

The way he talks about women, especially his mom. Also, if I see you on everyone’s story, I’m going to be mindful of how I approach you. I feel like that’s it. I’m picky but it depends on the person.

Lastly, what advice would you give to people who aspire to be members of Alpha Kappa Alpha?

This is something I was told: know yourself and know your purpose. Know why you want to be a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha. You should also know what you can contribute to the chapter to make the chapter better. Know what you can do to also make your community better. You have to be willing to put in the work to meet these goals. We all have goals for what we want our chapter to look like and how our chapter can excel. We have goals for what we want the sorority to look like in the future as well, so know what you can bring to the table. If you know your purpose for joining the sorority, then that will see you through forever. Know why you were put here to do what you do. Know. Your. Purpose.

I really enjoyed interviewing Kamryn and I hope you all enjoyed reading about her. She is truly a light in many people’s lives. This interview felt more like a late-night chat between friends, which is something I truly loved! Kamryn’s passion, work ethic, and vibrant personality are what make her an amazing leader within the Hampton community. She’s moving toward great things and we’re lucky to have a front-row seat to her success story.

Kamiel Beckley

Hampton U '23

Kamiel Beckley is a biochemistry major and leadership studies minor from Louisville, Kentucky. She attends the illustrious Hampton University. Kamiel enjoys traveling and creating. Her goal is to pursue biomedical research while also maintaining her love for writing and art.