This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards was held Sunday evening and included moments we won’t forget. This year’s musical celebration and awards ceremony took a turn when early Sunday afternoon basketball legend Kobe Bryant and eight others were killed in a helicopter crash. Alicia Keys, two-time Grammys host, opened the show with a tribute to the basketball phenom singing “It’s so Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday.” Keys was accompanied by Boys II Men. In her opening speech, Alicia Keys acknowledged the pain and heartbreak that filled the Staples Center and home of Kobe, but encouraged the Hollywood stars to remember that music is a powerful healing tool. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Keys said, “We’re going to love together, and we’re going to make sure that we are celebrating the most powerful energy, the most beautiful thing in the world. The one thing that has the power to bring all of us together. And that’s music.” With Alicia Keys spearheading the night, Grammy nominees and winners took the stage showcasing their talent.

The most memorable performance of the night goes to Tyler the Creator. His energy-filled, television-rocking performance of “Earfquake” and “New Magic Wand” left the stage on fire. Literally. After his collaboration with Charlie Wilson aka Uncle Charlie and Boys II Men, he brought out his army of lookalikes who jumped around the stage further exuding the electrifying energy of his song. He ended the performance in a burning town which he eventually fell into a black hole. There’s no doubt that people will be talking about this performance whether it made you feel uncomfortable (like me) or on the edge of your seat wanting more. Other performances were from Lizzo, Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton, Ariana Grande, Tanya Tucker and the most acclaimed star of the night Billie Eilish.

Pop newcomer Billie Eilish performed “When the Party’s Over” taking a different approach from her performance at the AMA Awards. Although Eilish didn’t have the most memorable performance of the night, she is surely memorable for winning the most awards and making history. Eilish walked away with a total of five awards in the categories album, song, and record of the year, best new artist and pop vocal album. She is the second person to win the top four categories in a single night (following Christopher Cross) according to E! News. Billie Eilish also made history by being the youngest person to win album of the year taking the place of  “Lover” singer Taylor Swift. Despite all the attention and wins Eilish received, she almost seemed upset, in the most humbling way, that she kept winning. In her acceptance speech for album of the year, she said, “Um, can I just say I think Ariana deserves this?” Regardless Billie Eilish has joined the list of highly-acclaimed artists in the music industry and her award-winning streak won’t stop here.

Speaking of highly-acclaimed artists, our favorites such as Beyonce, Jay-Z, Adele and Rihanna just to name a few decided not to be in attendance Sunday evening. Their presence and breath-taking fashion moments were missed. Hopefully, they’ll be in attendance next year with new projects (Rih Rih, we’re waiting). Overall, the 62nd Grammys was one to remember due to the tributes of legends, jaw-dropping performances and stunning red carpet fashion. 

Tune in to our instagram @hchamptonu for my top red carpet looks. 

Red Carpet Looks

1. Ariana Grande- Giambattista Valli 

1. Billy Porter – Baja East custom

1. Lizzo – Versace

1. Gwen Stefani -Dolce and Gabbana

1. Jameela Jamil – Georges Chakra

Naomi Ludlow

Hampton U '20

Naomi Ludlow currently attends Hampton University where she is studying journalism. Originally from Chicago, IL., she loves city life and the different cultures and cuisine that is showcased. Naomi is a social media fanatic and dance enthusiast.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!