Get Ready for Balmain x H&M

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Save your money and get your shopping lists ready. On Friday, November 5, 2015, the Balmain x H&M Collection officially drops in 250 select stores and online. This collaboration makes a bold statement with artistry army details. Mainstream stores including H&M and Target have been doing huge collaborations with designers for the past two years. Last fall H&M collaborated with Alexander Wang, and Target collaborated with Altuzarra. This spring Target collaborated with Lily Pulitzer and now H&M has its huge collaboration with Balmain.

This collection is a huge deal for the fashion industry and for Fashionistas and Fashionistos, who can now shop Balmain for a more affordable price than non-collab Balmain items. There is no doubt that this collection will sell out extremely fast just like the collaboration with Alexander Wang.

The fashion show for the collection was a futuristic, yet sexy occasion. The models walked the runway with high-beamed lights at a Wall Street location. The excitement was all over social media with fun promo videos.

Oliver Rousteing, creative director of Balmain, says this collaboration is a dream come true. In Rousteing’s interview with The Indian Express he shared his excitement about this collection, “The Balmain x H&M collaboration feels like a personal achievement, and when I was designing it, it took me back to when I was a teenager dreaming of a life in fashion. I believe that fashion should be for everyone, and this collaboration helps me to share a positive message of diversity and community with the whole world.”

Many of the pieces look like mainstream Balmain, however it is for a more affordable cost, which allows a different audience to wear it. The prices range from $18 statement rings, to $500 statement dresses. There is a lot of apparel that falls within those price ranges including basic “Balmain” tees, embroidered blazers and sheer embroidered tops. The whole collection is filled with epic designs that will definitely be seen on the street and maybe even on campus.

It is no surprise that Kendell Jenner is the face of this collection. The Kardashian-Jenner clan is known for being huge Balmain fans. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West are always seen in Balmain, and now even North West has custom Balmain items. Recently, baby Nori has been named the Balmain Ballerina, for her custom designs and ballerina tutus when she attends her dance lessons.

As seen with the Alexander Wang collection, most of the lower priced items in the collection are purchased and can seem basic after a while. The Alexander Wang x H&M collaboration last year was known for the scripted leggings and “Wang” pullover sweatshirt. It is only a matter of time before everyone on Instagram is sporting a Balmain t-shirt because it is one of the cheaper items. If not a t-shirt, you’ll definitely see a photo of $18 rings with the caption, #HMBalmainNation.

The whole collection can be found here. Make your lists and get to planning because the day is almost here and #HMBalmainNation will be rocking the fashion world. 

Asia Milia Ware is a junior Strategic Communication major at Hampton University. Hailing from the concrete jungle, New York City, she is a lover of fashion, and a journalist; your future fashion editor and editor-in-chief of a #1 women's lifestyle magazine. As Hampton University's ESSENCE College Ambassador, a blogger for Style by D'NiCole and a style guru for CollegeFashionista, Asia is a Fashionista that is always on the go. Writing is her specialty, in addition to fashion and styling.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.