This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Ever hear a family member calling someone “fast?” Or maybe you’ve been the “fast” one they’ve been referring to… whatever the case maybe, slut shaming isn’t cool. Slut shaming is the act of degrading women because of their sexual behaviors. This is completely toxic and not only are young women slut shamed by other women, they’re slut shamed by parents too. Yes, I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. Sex before marriage may be something  your parents don’t agree with. However, don’t let them (or anyone else for that matter) slut shame you. I can recall conversations I’ve had with my mom when she first found out I was having sex. 

She said she was disappointed in me and I should be “ashamed” of myself because sex is sacred. For a while, I did feel embarrassed after what my mom said. I do believe laying with someone and being intimate is sacred, but I still am one to say it’s MY body and MY choice. Parents sometimes fail to understand that boys are taught that sex is something completely normal and an enjoyable experience. They are also told that it’s normal for them to be sexual beings. As women, we should be able to embrace our sexuality too. What I mean by that is: recognizing that you have sexual needs addressing them as YOU see fit!

Men are not the only ones that should be able to enjoy sex. We should be able to gain pleasure from it too and not feel ashamed. Also, it’s 2019 ladies! Times are changing. Our generation is way more vocal about sex than our parents were at our age. Sex before marriage has been normalized. After all, we’re young women in our 20 somethings. I believe your 20 somethings are the perfect age for you to experiment through the art of sex. If you’re thinking about losing your virginity to someone, as long as YOU’RE ready, go for it! Parents do mean well and their main concern is that you are safe. As long as you’re practicing safe sex, you’re getting checked, and you’re comfortable with what you are doing don’t let your parents discourage you. Live life, ladies! Here’s to…

Avari Fauconier a graduating senior, criminal justice major from Staten Island, New York. She enjoys drawing and writing in her spare time. Avari is also hoping to have a career as an FBI agent. She is a strong believer in self love and not letting fear or insecurities keeping you from trying new things.