This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Women have been last in gaining most basic human rights for years in the history textbooks. But in today’s society, there are still many things that women have to deal with that men will never have to worry about. Even though the gender pay gap has decreased exponentially since women were allowed to start working alongside their male counterparts, it is still a problem in America. For every dollar a man makes in the United States, women only get eighty cents. If men and women were paid the same, women would gain more in earnings every year. The gender pay gap is mostly attributed to discrimination in the workplace.

Many of the women who are making less than their male co-workers are just as qualified if not more qualified in all aspects of the job. This discrimination stems from the thought process that women are needed as family caregivers. This means that the women at these different jobs will be more focused on their family and home than their job. In a study conducted by the Pew Research Center in 2013, it was shown that women oftentimes had to take extreme measures to help out their families.

These women would take reduced work hours, turn down promotions, and even quit their job for their families benefit. These sacrifices that women make for their families negatively impact their careers because of the image that it gives them. When broken down, the gender pay gap becomes a societal issue about the way that we view women and their role in a family dynamic. Should women be the only ones seen as the caregiver in the family and the man of the family as the breadwinner? Or can they share both roles and help each other out as a team?

There are women who exceed this expectation and thrive. Some of the highest-paid women include:

1. Mackenzie Bezos 

2. Jacqueline Mar 

3. Alice Walton 

4. Lauren Powell Jobs 

5. Taylor Swift 

6. Beyonce 

Sources: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/04/09/gender-pay-gap-facts

Hi!, My name is Arielle and I am a second-year pre-nursing major at Hampton University from Columbia, South Carolina.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!