This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

?Tis the season, to be turnt up, Four Lo-Lo-Lo-Lo, Lo-Lo-Lo-Ko.?

Homecoming is approaching us within the next couple of days and as a freshman, I feel that it is necessary to educate my fellow classmates on how to turn up, but not tip over. 

In comparison with high school, a HBCU homecoming is a lot more like a holiday than just a friday night football game. There are a lot of fun events to attend, people visiting from all over, and so much liquor. With this article, I wanted to share a few pieces of advice that might help us freshman get ready for our first Hampton Homecoming!

First and foremost, know your limits.

Homecoming week is not the time to over do it. Hopefully you are already aware of your drinking tolerance because homecoming is definitely not the best time to test it out. You don’t want to be remembered as the girl or guy who couldn’t keep their balance while standing still. I know baby onyx isn’t drinking anyway because the consumption of alcohol is illegal for those under the age of 21, HOWEVER I thought I’d I mention it just in case ?.

Spend your money wisely.

If you’re anything like myself, money is not always readily available. Homecoming events can range anywhere from $10 to $50 and your primary goal is probably making it to all of the events. By all means, if you have the money to do so, go to all the events; if you don’t, it’s not a big deal. You can miss a few events and still have fun. Don’t let that bank card reach the negatives just because you wanted to see the Que’s bark. Ain’t nothing worse than a broke college student. 

Try To Pop Out All Week (emphasis on try).

Going to class at an HBCU is a fashion show in itself, so for homecoming, you already know the drill. You are expected to show up and show out at all times. You may dress up for classes or you may decide to wear sweats during the day and just pop out for the events. The choice is really yours, just make sure you’re dressed to impress.  

Make Connections

Hampton Alum will, in fact, be present and ready to turn up right along with you. Use this time and experience to get to know people, even if it is just a hi and bye. These are people who have graduated and became successful in their careers, so it may be in your best interest to get an email or two. You could be talking to a CEO who is looking for interns at his/her company for all you know. Don’t miss out on those opportunities!

All in all, if you don’t do homecoming right this year you have plenty more opportunities. My best advice is to create an experience that’s enjoyable and memorable for YOU. Lastly, be safe and have fun!

HCXO

Hey beautiful people! I am Madison Williams, second-year Journalism major from Dallas, Texas and I am studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I love to use writing as my creative outlet and I am so happy to be apart of HerCampus so I can put my writing skills to good use!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!