FEAR OF MISSING OUT (FOMO) IN COLLEGE 

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

BY: SYMONE CONWAY 

The term “FOMO”, short for fear of missing out, is often used by those with anxiety that they might miss out on something happening elsewhere. Younger people are especially prone to getting FOMO because of the generation’s social media use. Everyone is posting what they’re doing, where they’re at, where they’ve been, etc. Society compares the lives of others to themselves; we are in a generation of trying to one-up and outdo the next person. In college, we usually expect parties, going out all the time, and lots of social gatherings. Our parents and mentors often tell us to stay in school and not get sidetracked by the influx of parties we may encounter. There’s a lot to do and a lot to see, and if everyone else is going to it or doing it, we should too right? 

As someone that has never cared to really go to parties and be outside at social events, I find that I sometimes experience this fear of missing out. The college expectations to always be doing something can get intense. Despite being a part of three organizations, I’m mainly a homebody and enjoy being out in smaller settings. Joining clubs gives me the opportunity to socialize during the week, and sometimes on weekends. But on a random Saturday night, I would much rather be in my room enjoying my own company or the company of a few friends more than anything. 

Sometimes when I see others out, I wonder if I should be out too. I wonder if I’m wasting away my youth by being inside when I could be outside. To not let the thoughts of missing out consume my mind, I preach to myself the importance of self care, alone time, recharging my social battery, and having quality experiences over memories of just parties. This isn’t a diss toward parties though, I enjoy one every once in a while, I just feel that they are all the same. Meaningful plans and dates matter more to me than a wild night out. I do believe in balance though. It’s important to get outside, see the world, experience life and different situations. No matter what setting, we never know what we will encounter. 

FOMO is not just related to parties. It can be any social gathering–always feeling like you HAVE TO be there or have to know what’s going on or even follow what is going on. Fads are incredibly relevant in the conversation of fomo because our interests constantly change. As people are afraid of missing out, they participate in buying or being a part of something because everyone does it. Now while we are all guilty of following a fad, there is a particular pressure as a young adult to “fit in”. 

A very wise person told me, “It’s impossible to miss out when you make the experience”. I keep that in mind everyday because I live my life for myself, not for anyone else. We only miss out if we care too much for what anyone else is doing. 

Symone Conway

Hampton U '27

Hi! I’m Symone, a psychology major at Hampton University from Chicago, IL. I'm interested in psych because I love understanding people and being there for them. I’m the oldest sister of three, which has influenced my love for supporting others mentally and emotionally. I also love any and everything girly. I think of myself to be a girls girl and believe in uplifting my feminine queens <3. I enjoy astrology a lot (I’m a pisces). I love talking and bonding with others. I’m excited as a writer for HerCampus and hope my articles are enjoyed by all those that read them. Writing is a super impactful outlet for me, and I am inspired by those around me to continue entertaining the world through my articles!