This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This past week, the country has become aware of an issue that is happening right in our backyard. The urban area of Flint, Michigan has been affected with toxic water.  The issue with water has been going on for a year, but it has just recently garnered media attention. For several weeks the city has been using contaminated water.

Everyone has the same question. How did it get to this?  Just two years ago the city of Flint was trying to find ways to save money. One suggestion made was to draw water from the Flint River instead of Detroit. This suggestion was approved and the new water system was implemented without much thought. Something that was supposed to be temporary lasted much longer than expected. Residents of Flint immediately began to complain about the taste, smell, and look of the water.

By that summer, research showed that water was contaminated. An engine plant also refused to use Flint River water because it rusts parts. Throughout the year of 2015, many efforts were made to fix the issue, but the water never improved. Residents began collecting cases of bottled water for people in the city. Lead levels were extremely high in the water. State officials claimed water was safe, but doctors urged Flint not to continue using the water. In late September of 2015, Governor Rick Sydner officially announced the water as a state problem.

This past January, Michigan declared a state of emergency. Residents posting pictures of the contaminated water led to more awareness of the issues. President Obama ordered federal aid for the city of Flint. Hundreds of thousands cases of bottled water have been sent to the city in the past few weeks. People in America have taken clean water as a luxury. It has been documented that residents of Flint have been affected health wise. People are unable to do simple this such as brush there teeth and take showers.

More efforts had been made around the country. Our own home by the sea had a bottle drop off at 12-2 last Friday. To find a bottle drop off in your neighborhood, you can try you local church or school.

Destiny Warner is a sophomore Nursing major from New York City attending Hampton University. She is very fun, open minded, and positive. Her calm and good vibes attract any one she is around. Destiny enjoys trying new things and pushing herself to new limits. In the future, she see herself working as a surgical nurse in the hospital.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.