alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Tips on How to Interview Well – “Secure the Bag Szn”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As college students, many of us are looking toward the future and preparing to start our careers. Whether you are looking for an internship or your first job, it is important to know how to properly conduct yourself in an interview in order to secure the bag. 

It is important to know these five things:

Tip #1 – Dress Professionally 

This is one of the key things to remember when getting ready for an interview. For women, the usual interview attire would be a black or navy business suit with a white blouse. Black heels are typically worn with business suits to set the professional look. Women are supposed to wear light make-up, jewelry, and a professional hair-style as well as hair color. For men, the usual interview attire is a black or navy business suit with a white shirt and a tie. Men usually wear black or blue dress shoes, few jewelry items and a professional hairstyle as well as hair color. Remember, a first impression is a lasting impression so dress to impress. 

Tip #2 – Make sure you have a Resume

The resume is a vital piece to an interview. Make sure that your resume is up-to-date and organized. In most cases, you will have to submit your resume prior to the interview, but it is important to bring a copy of your resume as a guide. Based on personal experiences, your resume is a major talking point during the interview and you will have to elaborate on your accomplishments and any organizations you are apart of. During your interview, take pride in your accomplishments and express how hard you have worked to get to this moment. That will set you apart from the rest. 

Tip #3 – Do your Research 

Before the interview, research the company or business that could potentially hire you. Find out what events they plan, their role in the community, and other things that are important to you. It may also be beneficial to talk to trustworthy people that currently work or used to be employed by your potential place of work. Always remember knowledge is power, conducting research shows that you are active and serious about your career. 

Tip #4 – Always Ask Questions 

At the end of the interview, the interviewer or panel will most likely ask if you have any questions for them or about your potential job.  Always ask a question, even if you have to make up one. For example, you can ask what your role or duties will be if you are selected to work for that company or business. You can also ask the interviewer or panel about their work experiences to show that you are listening and engaged. It is imperative to ask questions because there is always room to learn. 

Tip #5 – Take a deep breath, Smile, and Be Confident

Most importantly, remember to relax and breathe. If you are tense and nervous, it is going to be challenging to elaborate and speak articulately about your goals and accomplishments. If necessary, have a friend or family member help you conduct a mock interview. This will help ease some of your nerves.  Also, remember to be confident in what you bring to the table. You have worked hard and you deserve this.

Last but not least, don’t forget that you have what it takes to secure the bag!

Chance Thweatt

Hampton U '21

My name is Chance Thweatt and I am a member of the Her-Campus Hampton U chapter. I am a third-year Journalism major, Political Science minor currently studying at Hampton University.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!