matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The First Black Women Millionaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

“The first black woman millionaire in America”.

Madame C.J. Walker, born Sarah Breedlove, is known as the Mother of Black Hair because of her successful line of hair products. 

Walker faced a load of hardships before she was able to live her life of luxury. She was born in Lousiana and orphaned by the age of 6. As well as married by 16, and widowed by the age of 22 with a young daughter to take care of. She moved to St. Louis and started to work as a laundress but little did she know, her life would later change for the better. 

While working as a laundress, Walker started to experience major hair loss. She struggled with finding a solution to the problem. She later found one that changed the dynamic of black beauty culture. The “Walker System” was a combination of iron combs, lotions, and scalp preparation treatments designed by Walker herself. Walker became such a phenomenon that white hair companies sought out to steal the hair treatment. Walker had to then argue that her hair products were only to be used by African Americans. Her passion, dedication, and personal approach won the hearts of many customers. 

Walker then moved her business to Denver with her daughter and husband, Charles J. Walker where she held demonstrations and lectures that helped her gain thousands of customers and educate black women and men about how to take care of their hair. She employed over three thousand workers, all being African American. 

Walker continued to spread her success through service by starting clubs for her employees that offered bonuses and prizes. She believed in women’s empowerment and demanded that only a woman could be allowed to serve as the president of her charter. She funded scholarships for the women at the Tuskegee Institute and donated an enormous amount of money to organizations like the YMCA and NAACP. You can’t mention Black History Month without mentioning Madame C.J. Walker better known as The First Black Woman Millionaire!

Taylor Cooper

Hampton U '23

My name is Taylor Cooper. I’m a psychology major from St. Petersburg, Florida. I’m blessed with the opportunity to attend The Illustrious Hampton University as an incoming freshman. As a military child, I’ve been able to live all over the world. I’m very appreciative of the experiences I’ve had, and those to come.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!