Finesse of Fail: Last Minute Tips to Getting the Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

So, it’s April 1st  and your last option for a summer internship application is due April 15th  and you haven’t even looked at the document. Ooooo girl, how are you going to pull it together so quickly? These tips can help to make sure your application will stand out, even though it’s done last minute.

1.    Go to your favorite mentor/teacher to write your letter of recommendation.

–       Since  you started so last minute it, it’s a good idea to  write the recommendation and ask  them to sign it.

–       They will more than likely write because you have a good relationship with them.

2.   Do some quick edits your resume for the specific position instead of revamping the whole thing.

–       Only list relevant activities or accomplishments

3.   Send a hand-written thank you note of appreciation.

–       It’s a nice final touch to your application. Hand-written notes don’t  have to be limited to last minute apps. Send hand-written notes as a way to separate yourself from others.  It adds a personal touch to a stack of otherwise similar applications.   

4.   Start earlier next summer!

–       Finessing* can’t always save you. Finessing isn’t a way out of working hard. Sometimes employers can tell if it was done in a rushed manner.

* 1. The unique ability to maneuver seamlessly around people or objects in a smooth manner.

2. An art of persuasion or trickery in which an individual is able to get something they want with  prowess

Socorro Kenoly is a senior, Strategic Communication major in Hampton University's Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications. Socorro is a proud Hamptonian hailing from Atlanta, Georgia.