Faith Is… Believing: Spiritual Journaling Incentive for 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The year 2020, is a pivotal milestone for many people. It marks the beginning of a new decade, which means new beginnings, new opportunities and new hope. This year I decided to take my faith/spiritual journey to the next level. 

As a Christian, it can be hard to stay consistent with reading the bible, or even going to church every Sunday. But- one thing I learned as I continue to get older is… 

“Having faith simply means believing in God’s work”

With that being said, an incentive that is being implemented for this year is, Spiritual Journaling. 

Although, writing may not be your strongest skill, this is a great way to have one on one time with God or even to seek out different ways in which you can increase your overall faith.

How to Start Spiritual Journaling

When starting a journal there are a few things that you need to keep in mind:

1. What is the goal of this journal ?

2. What  I hope to accomplish when completed ?

3. How can I continue this process after the year is complete ? 

Now, there are many ways you can go about journaling- some choose to buy a blank notebook or notepad and create prompts on the spot others have pre-made prompts set to help navigate their thought process. 

Since this is a “spiritual journal” you want the main focus of your prompts to be centered around topics such as…

Examples: Faith, Christian Walk, or Trusting in God

For those who may struggle with freewriting a great journal to use is entitled: “The Weekly Faith Project” by Zondervan

The journal includes writing prompts, challenges and scriptures to help grow and reflect on my faith/spiritual walk. Ultimately after completing the weekly prompts/ challenges I hope to have had created a genuine faith with God.

Each individual is different- so don’t feel as if you have to base your journal off of building your faith if that isn’t something you struggle with. You can also do prompts based on: seeking your purpose, or self-esteem/loving yourself. 

Whatever you choose, you do the goal is to finish each journal entry feeling complete and fulfilled in some aspect.

Taking care of your mind, body and soul is so essential to your general well being. 

With spiritual journaling, it gives you the opportunity to stimulate your thinking- while looking deep into your own personal faith and using different topics to help build and improve your overall spiritual walk. 

If you want to learn more about Spiritual Journaling and how you can learn more about spiritual growth/healing there are plenty of videos on youtube that explain more in depth what you can do.

Ciara White-Sparks is a Junior Broadcast Journalism major & Marketing minor from Las Vegas, Nevada. Her goal is to pursue a career in Entertainment as a Media Correspondent and TV Host. While working as a Public Relations Consultant. Ciara is involved in a plethora of organizations on campus. She has a podcast entitled, "Seriously Flawed but Destined to be Great." A virtual talk show, entitled "The Saturday Social," is now streaming on YouTube. Lastly, she has her non-profit movement entitled, “F.B.W. The Movement” which is dedicated to speaking purpose into girls the ages 13-18. She is a lover of all things beauty and pageantry and she hopes to be the next Miss USA in the year 2024.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.