This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s Fabulous Freshman is Nupol Kiazolu! She is a first year political science major with a concentration in Pre Law from Brooklyn, New York. Let’s get to know what makes Nupol unique!

HC: What made you choose to attend Hampton University?

NK: I made the decision to attend an HBCU at the end of my junior year of high school. HBCU’s are a safe space for young black people. We can be ourselves and embrace our culture to the fullest and that’s the most important thing! There’s a common misconception about HBCU’s that we’re not diverse which is totally false because black people are not a monolith. We are the most diverse group of people in the world! Young black people that attend HBCU’s come from all over the world. I’m a strong advocate and I’m committed to removing negative stereotypes about HBCU’s. I also chose HU because of the history behind our campus. We are on the grounds of a plantation! Our ancestors walked on the very ground we walk on today. They went through so much pain and suffering just so we can have this opportunity! I do not take it for granted, I’m literally my ancestors’ wildest dreams!

HC: What’s your ultimate goal in life?

NK: My ultimate goal is to become President in 2036.

HC: Who motivates you to keep moving forward with your goals?

NK: The mentors in my circle and my supporters around the world keep me going! Furthermore, my optimism for the future.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

NK: Reading is everything! I love to self-educate because it helps me in debates. I’ve been a dancer since I was 3 years old. Dance runs in my family. My majors in dance are West African, Contemporary, and Dancehall. Swimming is also my stress reliever.

HC:What’s your favorite thing about Hampton so far?

NK: My favorite thing about Hampton is the support system from the upperclassmen! Shoutout to my bigs! I love the big/little concept.

HC:What makes you standout?

NK: My leadership and perseverance! I’m a young black woman from the trenches of NYC. Despite all of the obstacles I’ve had to overcome, I made it out of the hood and I’m beating every statistic. I’m a rose that grew out of the concrete! I’m the President of the Youth Coalition for Black Lives Matter Greater NY and Founder and CEO of Vote 2000.

HC: If you could change anything in the world what would it be?

NK: Police officer accountability- they should receive the same treatment a civilian would if we break the law.

Make sure to follow Nupol on social media!

Instagram: @nupol_justice

Cashara Quinn

Hampton U '21

Cashara is a graduating senior Journalism major, Spanish minor from Chesapeake, Virginia. She will be a news producer at WFTX Fox 4 upon graduation. Her hobbies include playing the violin, dancing, and fashion. As Cashara continues to build her resume, she hopes to inspire young girls to work hard to achieve their goals and believes that anything is possible through Christ.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com