This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s Fab Freshmen is the fabulous Miah Cox. Miah is a first year psychology major from Beckley, West Virginia. You may catch her on campus singing in the gospel choir, or notice her by one of her many cute outfits. Read on to learn about this week’s Fab Freshman pick!

What made you come to Hampton?

I’ve always dreamed of going to an HBCU. I’m from West Virginia but I but was raised mostly in Atlanta and being around the environment of black people made me feel comfortable versus being in West Virginia and being a minority. I knew for college I wanted to be a majority. Hampton worked for me because  my sister lived here. I didn’t really apply to any other HBCUs. 

What made you join gospel choir?

I’ve always been in choir in school and at church, and my grandma has a radio program I used to sing on. During admitted student’s day they held auditions so I auditioned in February and when I came back for High School Day I saw them perform in the stu and I enjoyed it. During pre college I sang in the choir and I got put in gospel choir. 

What has been your favorite part of the semester?

Being around people who are like-minded. I enjoyed going to the events like homecoming, and 12-2s. I also like my classes and being in a lecture room setting.

What has been your biggest challenge since being here?

Trying to find a balance between academics and my social life. Also trying to self-identify and figure out what I want to major in, what my purpose is and what career field I want to go into.

What is your favorite part about the holidays?

I like being around my family and all the love.

Do you have any Christmas/New Year traditions?

We usually get snowed in in West Virginia so everyone is in the house together on Christmas and we spend all day eating and spending time together. For New Year’s Eve we always go to church. 

Where do you get your style inspo?

On different days I try to incorporate different styles into my wardrobe. I like street styles but at other times I like to dress professional but chill in a way. Then there’s days when I like to be comfy and cute. Some of my celebrity inspiration comes from Alicia Keys and Yara Shahidi. Some people tell me I dress like a white woman in my 30s. I don’t wear a lot of sneakers but I really enjoy the vintage look. Some stores I like to shop at are Cotton On and Shein. 

What are you most looking forward to next semester?

Starting off fresh. Now I have some wisdom of how to handle my classes and how to be more organized and prepared. I’m also looking forward to joining more organizations.

If you could give any advice to yourself before you started college what would it be?

Stay persistent and stay focused. It’s easy to get caught into habits. If you have a goal or a plan, continue with that and always put God first no matter what.

Kennedi Jackson is a senior journalism major, leadership studies minor from Atlanta, GA. She is one of the 2020-2021 associate editors for the HerCampus Hampton U chapter. Post-graduation, Kennedi hopes to work in an editorial position, communications department, or digital media.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.