timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fab Freshman: Monique Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Meet Monique Smith, a freshman biochemistry pre-dental major and leadership studies minor from Atlanta, Georgia. Keep reading to learn more about her, her style, and her opinion on relationships!

HC: How has your experience at Hampton been so far?

Monique: It’s been good! The teachers that I have right now are very involved and I can go to them whenever I need to. The people here are good, too. I’ve been hanging with the same people, but I’ve also met a lot of new people and they’re friendly. The only thing I don’t like about Hampton is the food–but that’s probably everyone’s problem here!

HC: What do you plan on doing with your major?

Monique: I plan on going to dental school and while I’m there I want to have a job. I could do a lab with my biochemistry degree. My teachers have been telling me that after I leave, I’ll already have connections with someone to do a lab with and I can make money while in dental school. And then after school, of course, I’ll be a dentist.

HC: Describe your style.

Monique: First of all, I don’t like girly clothes. I like to be comfortable. I match my shirts with my shoes and I make sure the colors match each other. During the week I may wear whatever, like leggings or jogging pants, but on the weekends if I’m going somewhere, I’ll make sure I’m dressed up. It all depends on the event. 

HC: What qualities do you look for in a Hampton Man?

Monique: He has to be on top of his stuff and needs to know what he wants to do in life. Also, he has to be respectful, because some people just aren’t respectful and they don’t have manners. Most importantly, you have to be honest and not a liar because lying is… mmm… you know. 

HC: What kind of girlfriend would you like to be?

Monique: I want to be myself. I want to be real and genuine girlfriend. If you don’t like me for me, then I guess you can’t be with me. But if you do like me, then congrats! 

HC: Could you do a long distance relationship?

Monique: I don’t know. I think it depends on how much you like the person. If you know and love the person and you both end up going different ways after college, then you should know that both of you are going to come back together no matter the distance. 

HC: What advice can you give future freshmen who may come to Hampton University?

Monique: Make sure you go to your advisor because you never know what opportunities you can get. I didn’t know my advisors would send me so many scholarships or internship opportunities. They stay on top of me when it comes to completing internship applications. You don’t even have to talk to them about schoolwork; you can ask them about their day. Another tip I can give is to get to know people because they can help you in the future. You might see them on social media so don’t be afraid to shoot them a message because you never know what opportunities it could bring. 

Make sure you follow Monique on Instagram! @ukyenom

Camille Birdsong is a Her Campus National Writer for the Style section. She writes weekly articles about all things fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and decor. Beyond Her Campus, Camille works as an Associate Producer for CNN Max. She previously worked at NBC News, where she produced heartwarming stories for the TODAY Show audience and viewers nationwide. Camille graduated in 2022 with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Leadership Studies at Hampton University. She was the Director and Line Producer of her university’s newscast and has interned at NBC Nightly News, the TODAY Show and the Weekend TODAY Show. Camille is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and is passionate about sharing community-driven stories. In her downtime, she loves creating content, visiting new cafes, and obsessing over reality dating shows.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!