Canva
Life > Experiences

Expectations For The Spring Semester At An HBCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

After a long fall semester filled with first day jitters and homecoming memories, we welcome the  spring semester and all it has to offer. The refreshing feeling of a new chapter, and for many seniors, one that they will call their final one. Spring semester brings in new blessings, new opportunities, and new chances for excellence. For every  HBCU student, spring semester brings much excitement, as we transition into the final stretch of the school year. Warmer weather, more parties, more opportunities, and most of all, more of the HBCU culture that is so greatly adored. As we conquer the spring semester in some of the best ways we know how, here are some traditions and things to look forward to at HU!

Spring Fest

Among many traditions of HU lies the excitement of Spring Fest. Spring Fest is a week filled with activities, parties, and events where students indulge in some of the best parts of HBCU culture. I think spring fest is a great addition to the spring semester, when students can truly take time off to just enjoy  campus life and fun. 

100 Days

100 days is a tradition unique to Hampton University that celebrates the countdown of 100 days left until graduation and the last days of the semester. Though it’s very much a holiday catered towards only seniors as they reflect and look forward to their last days as undergraduates, many students use this day to party and celebrate almost being done with the year. I would definitely say it’s a very exciting part of spring semester. 

Dartys

Day parties, also known as “dartys” are personally one of my favorite things that the spring semester has to offer. Dartys are the epitome of HBCU culture, especially in the spring. It’s always brought with great vibes because the weather just starts getting nice again after a long winter, thus allowing students to party and have more events outside. 

Probates

A huge part of any HBCU is its profound and lively Greek life portrayed around campus. Spring semester is a big time for this type of involvement, as many greek letter organizations have lines for the spring semester. Oftentimes this means many probates occur which officially initiates these new members into their respective organizations. This is a very exciting time for many students either going through the process, or friends supporting them throughout their endeavors.

Though the stress of finals and deadlines will inevitably find its way to us, I hope you all can find time to enjoy some of the final months of school surrounded by the people you love. Work hard, but take care of yourself harder, I am wishing you all a wonderful spring semester here at HU!

Zoë Rose

Hampton U '25

Zoë Rose is currently third year Journalism major with an emphasis on English & Creative Writing from Watchung, New Jersey. When she's not writing, she enjoys listening to music, spending time with friends, and doing yoga <3