This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

68-year-old Sahle-Work Zewde was appointed Ethiopia’s First Female President! And the country could not be happier!

On October 25th, 2018, Zewde was appointed the fourth President of Ethiopia. Leading up to her powerful role as president, Zewde has done several things in her work past to earn this title. From being an ambassador to Senegal, Djibouti, France, and even Director General for African Affairs in the Ethiopia, clearly Zewde has worked very hard to earn the presidential role.

Ethiopia expects Zewde to serve two six-year terms. Ethiopia’s social media platforms have been beaming with positivity in regards to the new president!  Currently, Zewde is the only female head of state in Africa.

When asked to speak on the importance of female presence, Zewde responded with,”I know today I have said a lot about female empowerment, but expect me to be even more vocal in the coming years about female rights and equality.”

creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com