Style > Beauty

The Essential Secrets to Getting Rid of Razor Bumps and Scars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

How many times have you shaved only to find that you have unsightly razor bumps and scars down there? The bumps hurt, you’re worried that it’ll look like you have some sort of STD, and it’s just uncomfortable to know that your area isn’t in tip-top shape.

For starters, remember these few things:

1. Your vagina is not supposed to look like how it does on TV, the Internet, or anything like that.
  2. Razor bumps/ scars are perfectly normal, preventable, and treatable.
  3. The more melanin that you have in your skin, the easier it becomes for you to scar.

Now that we’ve got that covered, let’s discuss the preventable steps to take to avoid scarring!

1. Forget shaving, just get waxed!

Waxing is one of the easiest ways to avoid razor bumps and scars. It’s quick and easy, although it is a bit painful. However, once you start going often, you’ll get used to it and it won’t be half as bad! Find a good waxing place near you, snag a Groupon and go with a friend, and have fun keeping your kitty bald!

2. Exfoliate before shaving.

I personally use a homemade sugar and coconut oil scrub and just rub it on my magic box of goodies. This helps to open your pores so that when you shave you get all the hair and you don’t have to keep shaving the same spot over and over.

3. Shave in the same direction every time.

While it may be easier to get rid of all the hair this way, please refrain from shaving upwards. You’re messing up your hair follicles and just asking for ingrown hairs to form. Try to shave in a downward motion all the time, and if you’re going to shave up just stick to that. The more you switch up, the more irritated your vagina will be, leaving you with more razor bumps.

4. Don’t pop your razor bumps!

I can’t stress this enough!! Please don’t pop your razor bumps because all it’ll leave you with is a scar. After popping it, all you can expect is pus and blood, and it’s actually pretty gross. Unless it’s super uncomfortable to the point that it’s hindering you from daily activities you shouldn’t be popping it. But when you do, try to pop it using a clean needle or something sharp, and letting the unsightly puss and blood combo to come out.

Let’s say that you took all these steps and you still have razor bumps. What do you do to get rid of them?

1. Two words: coconut oil.

Yes, this super fruit is really the greatest. Rub a little coconut oil on your bumps and scars every day and it’ll make your scars start to fade, and your bumps softer so that they pop naturally by themselves.

2. Utilize cocoa butter!

If coconut oil isn’t working for you, utilize cocoa butter. Yup, the same one that your mom used on her stretch marks really does work for scars. Rub some on your scars twice daily and you’ll see some great results!

3. Let them run their course.

As annoying as it might sound, sometimes you just have to let your body do what it does. Just deal with the bumps, they’ll be gone in about a week or so—I promise.

If they’re really a pressing issue for you, go talk to your gynecologist or your doctor to see what alternatives they recommend for dealing with this problem. They may have a medicated cream that they can prescribe to you to handle your razor bumps.

But remember, everyone gets razor bumps/ scars and it’s perfectly normal – we all have to deal with them, so don’t stress!

Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.