Entergalatic: A review on the best newest Romantic Comedies for young adults

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

There is nothing to say more about this movie than 10s across the board! Probably one of Netflix’ best original movies that has come out in a while. With a stacked cast that includes Kid Cudi, Ty Dolla $ign, Timothee Chalamet, Jaden Smith, and Vanessa Hudgens. This unlikely cast explores the excitement of a rising artist Jabari, played by Kid Cudi. But in the midst of his new job and a new place he runs into his old girlfriend, Carmen, who re-attempts to rekindle the relationship. But like all of us who have tried to do this a million times, it doesn’t work the way we it would expect. So instead of getting wrapped up in his past Jabari tries to continue with his future to explore the possible relationship with his neighbor, Meadow, played by Jessica Williams.

In the past few years, it has become more common to see this type of animation to tell a story. Although, the idea of using animation sounds childish and is usually used to fulfill the purposes of child-like fantasies, it can also be used to tell the story of something much more relevant to a larger audience. Telling a story that has layers and has the ability to explore the highs and lows of starting over your life and understanding who you are as a person. And that is exactly what this movie does. Through learning how to be your most authentic self in the work place to give yourself peace of mind and cutting off old relationships that no longer serve you; this movie touches on many major points that many 20-year-olds face in the real world when they can only rely on their instincts.

With this only being a 90 minute film, it not only makes me want a sequel or extended version, it also hasn’t been receiving as much hype as it deserves. I understand that with the one of the last great black animated movies, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, got the recognition it deserves because it was refreshing to see a black lead as an iconic superhero that we all adore. But this movie has the same tone. The ability to enjoy a story about a regular guy, in his regular life, with his regular problems. Not having to fulfill the film stereotypes of struggling financially or having his life at risk at all times. Nope… it is just about a young man who wants to find love just like the rest of us.

This movie has the most beautiful piece of artwork and creative detailing that makes you want to sink into the film itself. Showing bright and bold colors on every frame to have extra details of animation to drive perspective and priority to a specific character or object. The creators and director of this film used animation as a form of story telling so viewers can experience the love alongside the characters rather than just only being spectators. Having emphasis of little details to portray how we may also view our own lives and interact with others. Not making it cheesy or childish, but beautiful in a way that makes it feel comforting and familiar to our own lives.

This will truly be a movie I will continue to watch over and over again…maybe even be one of my comfort movies. Balancing the humor and real-life troubles that a young 20-something faces, makes it feel like it is a movie that so many people can relate to and love forever.

Nia Tate

Hampton U '23

Hi, girlies! My name is Nia Tate and I am a Graduating Senior Health Sciences Major and Sociology from Seattle, Washington. I aspire to work at a non-profit organization that works towards equity in the health care system. A lot of my hobbies include yoga/meditation, kickboxing, trips to the lake, and upcycling old clothes into creating something new. I also aspire to travel the world and experience all different types of cultures and fashion. Some of my dream destinations I hope to visit include Japan, Brazil, and Greece!