Emmy Recap: A Night to Remember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Last Sunday the 67th annual Emmy Awards were held in Los Angeles, California. For many of us, there was no time to tune in because of homework and deadlines. What we would soon learn later on that night is history was being made.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series – Viola Davis

Viola Davis made history with being the first African American female to receive this award for her performance as Annalise Keting in How To Get Away With Murder. In only the first season, Viola has played her role extremely well making us tune back in every Thursday for TGIT! She first came into our hearts staring in movies such as Antwone Fisher and The Help. Her acceptance speech reminding everyone, especially African Americans, of how far we have come but also how far we have to go. 

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series – Uzo Aduba

Uzo Aduba received this award for her performance in the series Orange is the New Black. Uzo made her debut on the screen in a little known series for Netflix. It would soon become a Netflix hit that everyone is addicted to. Viewers have fell in love with the character Suzanne also known as Crazy Eyes since the first season. Her portrayal as an over protective but loving woman has made her a fan favorite. Uzo’s tear jerking acceptance speech included her appreciation for her family’s support and love.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series – Regina King

Regina King received this award for her performance in American Crime. Unlike the two previous winners, this was her first nomination and win. Regina played Aliyah Shadeed in American Crime. Also in its 1st season, Regina portrayed the difficulty of being a devout Muslim woman. In her acceptance speech, she thanked her grandmother and mother for teaching her the power and blessing of being a woman.

Destiny Warner is a sophomore Nursing major from New York City attending Hampton University. She is very fun, open minded, and positive. Her calm and good vibes attract any one she is around. Destiny enjoys trying new things and pushing herself to new limits. In the future, she see herself working as a surgical nurse in the hospital.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.